The following is one of over 5,000 great modeling articles created through iModeler.

Wingnut Wings FE.2b Early

December 9, 2012 in Aviation

This was my fourth Wingnut Wings kit, and the most challenging due to the amount of rigging required. I used EZ Line in both sizes. This was good, and bad. EZ Line does stretch well, eliminating the dreaded after-build line sag, and it is difficult to break once in place. However, I found it difficult to glue into the small anchor holes because it is limp, prone to static “cling” and may curl up on the end after being dipped in CA. But, after all was said (some of that not printable here) and done, it came out pretty well. After a number of WWI builds (my favorite era) I can say that once you get your rigging technique down, and there are many to steal from, rigging is not hard, it can become tedious. I find I can work through it in a number of sessions and before too long, it’s done.

These Wingnut Wings kits have to be experienced to be believed. They are actually pretty easy to assemble and the amount of detail and precision of fit is amazing. Eduard WWI kits are a close second but still not in the same league as these.

I would say not to shy away from these kits because of the rigging. The amount required ranges from almost nil in the new Fokker D.VII kits to extensive with the FE and the DH models, but they are all within the grasp of the average modeler.

Hope you enjoy the photos. A more detailed account of the build is found on the IPMS USA site review section.

7 additional images. Click to enlarge

People who liked this article:

11 responses to Wingnut Wings FE.2b Early

  1. Beautiful! I am in the middle of rigging my Fee – Richard Alexander at WNW says it is his belief that the Fee is harder to do than the Gotha. I believe it!

    I don’t know what it is about this airplane, but it is one of my all time top favorite WW1 types. Maybe because it is soooooo odd.

  2. Yeah, it grabbed me right away too. I was going to order it when it first hit the internet, but I bid on it as a review kit for IPMS and got it. I might do another because it is soooo funky. I also like the Harry Tate, and after rigging this one, the Tate would be much easier. If I do another FE, I’m going with turnbuckles, all eleventy-seven of them… I have to Gotha too and suspect with more room and not having to deal with the tail booms, it would be easier.
    Looking forward to seeing your photos!

  3. Fantastic work – love it!!

    I am gathering courage to start rigging my LVG… nothing compared to this. Respect!

  4. Jump in. The FE has more wires, true, but it is still rigging. Are you planning to use turnbuckles?

  5. You’re a better man than I, Michael…I wouldn’t dream of attempting a build such as this. It could very well be because I have little interest in anything with 2 wings, but THIS would be a daunting task I would not welcome. You, on the other hand, have most evidently mastered the art. A finalist in this month’s contest for sure.

    • I started my modeling days many decades ago with WWI models. I think none cost over 79 cents back then. I’ve always been attracted to them and built a number of Eduard kits when I got back into it. The Wingnuts Wings kits are in a league of their own, and the pusher models, like the FE, have always fascinated me. Brave souls who went up in those. As I said before, rigging is not in itself hard, there can be a lot of it and it gets tedious, but anyone can do it. Glad you like my efforts. I’m in the midst of a Wingnut Wings Fokker Eindecker E-III Late kit right now. I used to think they had a bunch of rigging, but now….

  6. Fantastic workmanship, this rigging alone is mind-boggling. Doesn’t it put a lot of strain on the tail boom structure? Just curious. Thank you so much for sharing. /M.

  7. Good question. In fact, I used monofilament on the tail boom just to add structure to it. The way the kit is engineered, one can use long runs of monofilament which fit through cast-in holes in the ‘brackets’ that connect the wood tail boom pieces together. By using long monofilament runs, attaching the tail booms to the wings (which is a pretty sturdy attachment engineered by the Wingnuts people) then putting equal tension at the rear of the booms on the monofilament, the entire structure can be aligned and brought into a very solid arrangement. One then hangs some weight from the ends of the mono at the end of the boom, under the horizontal tail surfaces, applies CA in the right spots and the booms are secure. I’d not recommend anything like EZ Line which is stretchy and flexible. Wouldn’t provide support the tail needs.

  8. inspiring work Michael. liked your color choices

Leave a reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.