The Admiral’s “Hack”
April 9, 2013 in Aviation
I wanted to do something a little different than most other Revell Venturas I’ve been seeing, so I thought “outside the box”, as it were, and came up with this: not really a “civilianized” Ventura, although all armament has been removed, but more of a ‘private plane’ for the rear echelon brass to get from place to place in comfort (sort of).
Everything (and I mean everything), fit like a glove. I was pleasantly surprised – always had this ‘thing’ for Revell and thought they were below standards – not any more. I was able to close up the gear and the bomb bay without much difficulty at all (sometimes when a kit is designed “dirty”, it’s hard to ‘clean up’, know what I mean?) – but….a perfect fit.
The only thing I added were the external fuel tanks (ya never know where the brass hats wanna go). None of the kit decals were used – all spares. There was no need to worry about any weathering other than the exhaust stains….the brass like their airplanes really clean. The only bug-a-boo I encountered was of my own doing. I used Tamiya yellow tape to mask the windows and then affixed them to the inside of the fuselage, figuring I could just take a new No. 11 blade and scribe around the inside of the window and peel away the tape after painting. It didn’t work out so well. Guess I should have used the same method as the observation dome and masked it from the outside. Lesson learned.
I painted the entire aircraft MM Intermediate Blue – I was thinking about painting the undersides a light flat gray or white, but I figured I’d better quit before I did something that couldn’t be un-done. Had I known this kit was gonna go together as well as it did, it wouldn’t have languished in the pile so many weeks. Once I get started, I’m steady at it ’til it’s finished. Only took 3 days. But….closing everything up sped up the assembly process quite a bit. I think I’m free from my modelin’ “funk” now. Later.
10 additional images. Click to enlarge