August 6, 2013 in Aviation
This was my first attempt at the all-to-common “paint chipping” effect as seen on many Japanese aircraft of WWII. I didn’t want to go ‘overboard’ (as I’ve seen on many builds). I first sprayed the airframe with metallic silver and then the base coat of green (I forget at the moment which green…I think it was Testor’s ‘Medium Green’.
I then used a low-tack tape (3M blue) and simply touched a few places and pulled up the top color. Although I’ve seen many ways to do the paint-chipping thing, this seemed the easiest way to achieve the desired effect. Upon reflection, I suppose I should’ve done the same thing on the decals, but didn’t wanna pull up the whole thing (and probably would have).
2 additional images. Click to enlarge