FAA Corsair MkII
Hi All, Here is my 1/72 scale Hobby Boss Corsair F4U-1a or as the FAA called it
The kit comes pretty much done its basically like a snap together with a minimal parts count
i like these kits a lot!!! i treat them like a pressure relief valve because every now and then i hit a wall with a build or lose my MoJo and some times i just want to quickly throw something together and slap some paint on without the worry of making a botch of it and the bonus is they are cheap about £5 each and theres quite a few kits to choose from in the line up.
Anyway i did this one because i had some Decals called Yanks with Roundels i cant remember who produced them possibly Tech-mod anyway i picked this one because of the camo finish plus i googled FAA Corsairs and got some good images some in colour showing to good effect the weathering and general well used appearance so i thought i would try to copy the look, the kit literally took an hour or so to snap together no serious filling required just a bit of Mr Surfacer at the wing root let it dry a quick wipe over with Mr Levelling Thinner on a ear bud ( Q tip? ) thats it job done on to the best bit the painting so the first thing to sort out was to decide what colours to use when these aircraft were ordered the American Factories were given the FAA Specifications including camouflage colour and pattern because the American paint producers didn’t make the exact colours required they used the closest match these were
Sky Type S = US Light Aircraft Grey i used Aqueous Hobby Colour H51
DK Sea Grey = US Neutral Grey i used life color UA524
DK Slate Grey = US Olive Drab i used Aqueous Hobby Colour H78
Please dont take it as Gospel the above colours a correct like i said i googled it and there are different takes on what was actually used, even the three factories that produced the corsair didn’t always us identical colours, (sometimes i thank God for Google and i love love love it but a lot of the times it causes more Confusion and annoyance) anyway on with painting i first painted Zinc Chromate on the wing root and around the areas where traffic and maintenance was carried out i then used liquid masking dapped on randomly in these areas with the hope of pulling it off to reveal the Zinc Chromate after the camo was done,
first the underside was sprayed (H51) then the top colours were all done free hand like i said i didn’t worry about making a mess so no pressure to get it right and for once it all went on nicely (Typical) once dry i started to pull off the liquid masking and was quite happy with the effect then a quick coat of Mr Super Clear Gloss great stuff touch dry in less than ten mins and its tough hard as nails, then its dreaded Decal time again, i can be a bit hit and miss with decals but these proved to be trouble free, another quick coat off Mr Gloss then on with a wash i swear by Flory Models Wash Brilliant easy to use if you mess it up just wash it off i tend to use the dark dirt its not as stark as the black and that was pretty much it job done, the only couple of things that i wasn’t happy with was the fit of the canopy as you can see from the photos theres bit of a gap at the front part and as i really didn’t want to start filling and sanding and having to re-touch it up so i thought stuff it ill live with it and the other thing was the wash completely obscured my paint scuffs and chipping and turned it very dark so the lesson here my son is to leave the masking on until the very last job but you know how most of us modellers are as soon as we mask something then paint it we cant wait to peel it off to have a look at our handy work.
Hope you like it
More to follow if i can find photos or dig the camera out.
1 additional image. Click to enlarge.