AirFix 1:72 “Stringbag”
June 11, 2014 in Aviation
i have no particular affinity for the Swordfish, though i now think she’s a pretty little thing in her own humble way. i started this build over a year ago as a rigging challenge. i’ve said it before, i do like what Airfix is producing lately. that said, a lot of research had to be done to detail and rig this pup.
I used the Eduard P.E. set to add detail. rigging is .002″ monofilament by Dia-RiKi threaded through plastic tubing turnbuckles made from heat stretched plastic Q-Tip sticks.
Paints are custom mixes from Gunze and Tamiya paints. (sorry, i don’t remember what exactly those mixes are.)
roundels are painted on using Maketar Kabuki tape masks. other markings are from the kit decals (which, by the way, i find to be of very good quality) for Fairey Swordfish Mk.I K8363/c8c “Mitzi’, Fleet Air Arm, HMS Valiant, July 1940
15 additional images. Click to enlarge