Dauntless, Done… SBD-4, 1/48, Hasegawa
June 11, 2014 in Aviation
After much ado and diligent effort over the past two and and a half weeks, I am calling my SBD-4 Dauntless ‘done’….for a fairly unskilled builder like me it has been a challenge but I am pleased overall with the result which I humbly offer in photo form here.
It is a Hasegawa 1/48 scale kit which included photo etched ammunition belts and dive brake assemblies. Those dive brakes were tedious and aside from the ammo belts, my first try ever at using any photo-etch material.
One big problem with the kit is that the wings, consisting of left and right upper halves and a one-piece bottom section, once assembled, would not fit onto the fuselage. They fit in front, but in the rear, even after cutting off the closed dive brakes to replace later with PE ones, the lower closed section of the fuselage obstructed them from being pushed all the way up to match at the wing root, by what I would consider very large amount at this scale, 1/8th inch or so, way to much for putty to cover! I finally sawed out a section of the lower fuselage box, which gets covered by the lower wing center section anyway, to make them fit. It just doesn’t seem like I should have had to do that. Generally speaking the kit fit together real well, so I don’t know what was going on there, the instructions offer no clue.
I chose the VMSB-233 no. 77 decals, which according to the kit literature is U.S. Marine Corps, Guadalcanal, spring 1943.
So much of building a model like this is objective, like the wing issue described above, either it fits or it doesn’t. I wanted to weather this model and that where it gets subjective…. it is so easy to overdo any part of that – I think I am right on the edge of too much, maybe, maybe not. I weathered it with a mix of water and ground chalk pastel for panel lines, thin white acrylic wash overall to de-blue it some since I used “intermediate Blue’ spray can, not being able to find the ‘blue gray’ the kit called for. Then after the pastel and wash, some Testors Dullcoat…then some future stuff…too much…more Dullcoat, a little….THERE! STOP WHILE YOU”RE AHEAD. Then raided my wife’s sewing box for some black thread and rigged the wire last night….another challenge to be sure.
I wish the photos I am posting would have come out better, but the real weather wasn’t cooperating on that…
Thanks again for the helpful tips I get from posters here, feedback on my group posts and ideas I get from those who share images and stories of your truly beautiful models – I continue to be inspired by what I find here on Imodeler!
7 additional images. Click to enlarge