June 27, 2014 in Aviation
Always had a certain affinity for the Jug, so I figured I’d do a quick build of the last one in the pile here. I used my usual ‘artistic license’ -again- and simply used generic markings which I figured looked the part. I tried something new and exciting on this one (well, “new”, anyway) and it involves the ID stripes and the ‘no step’ areas on the wing roots. Rather than paint or use the decals provided, I taped off the area(s) in question and applied copious amounts of Doc O’Briens weathering powders instead just to see what results could be achieved…..I was thinkin’ a worn or faded look here… I found out that as long as ya don’t try to ‘seal’ it with sumthin’, it don’t look all that bad. it’ll come off pretty easy if you’re careless. Usually ya gotta be careful with that stuff if your applying gunpowder reside or exhaust streaks [it doesn’t take much].. but in this case, where ya want a rather “full” coverage, don’t be afraid to be heavy-handed.
Anyhow, my meager stash has become non existent now – the only unbuilt kit I have to work on is the 32nd Tamiya birdcage Corsair – and that ain’t gonna be done anytime soon. Oh, I’ve got a myriad of ‘left over’ figures and various stores still unassembled, but those’ll most likely remain that way unless I get really bored. I’ll be back when the F4U-1 is done (whenever that’ll be). Still don’t plan on any WIP pics, though, but ya never know.
Heck…I may even get a wild hair and throw in some of my older stuff for your dining and dancing pleasure whilst fretting over the Corsair the next weeks/months.
9 additional images. Click to enlarge