Fw-190 F-8 (Pb 1) “Panzerblitz”
From 1943 the Fw-190 F-8 started to replace the Stuka in most Luftwaffe Schlachtgeschwader. Even the famous Stuka ace, Hans Ulrich Rudel (Highest decorated pilot in the Luftwaffe) flew the F-8.
As the Red Army pushed toward the borders of the Reich, German scientists started to develop aerial weaponry that were cutting edge for their time in order to stem the tide of the Red Army advance. One of these weapons were the Panzerblitz (Pb 1). This weapon was an anti-armour missile comprising an 80 mm mortar grenade mated with the R4M air-to-air missile. This allowed the warhead to penetrate 90 mm of steel armour. The SS-controlled weapons factory at Brno in Czechoslovakia produced some 43850 of these missiles by February 1945.
This is Tamiya’s 1/48 scale Fw-190 F-8 (Pb 1) in the colours of Schlachtgeschwader 10 operating in Hungary during the winter of 1944 and early 1945. The aircraft is armed with 12 Panzerblitz missiles, twin 13 mm MG 131’s in the upper nose deck and two MG 151 cannons, one in each wing root. In the ground-attack role the Fw-190 F-8’s were armour plated with armour between 5 – 8 mm in thickness to protect the engine and the pilot.
The model is sprayed with Modelmaster enamels from their RLM range. Panel lines were highlighted using brown water colour paint.
19 additional images. Click to enlarge.