Anigrand 1/72 Vickers VC-10 C1 Conversion
November 11, 2014 in Aviation
VC-10’s are in most aviation enthusiasts top 10 airliners I’m sure, and it is certainly in my top 3 if I could decide between every other classic airliner.
I decided to spend the money on this resin kit after reading all the mixed reviews. I have to say it’s not without its faults but that’s what modelling is about. At the same time I really wanted the original C1 in the white over grey skyflash scheme rather than those drab grey or hemp versions.
The two main corrections for me were the nose and the bullet fairing. Not as tricky as it might look but it does require a degree of bravery to cut the nose down the middle. This in part to correct the pointyness of the radome and also the angle the windshield sits. It worth doing if only to make the clear windshield section sit just right.
The bullet fairing on the tail is too square and straight when it should be more rounded and waisted like a coke bottle. The other thing is extending it forward with some miliput and sculpting to the correct shape and contour.
The other things worth noting would be the wing fences. Throw the kit ones away. They are useless. Also the position on the kit is wrong and so is the length. I cut some new ones out of brass sheet. Both recessed in to the wing with the smaller one cut in to the dog tooth leading edge. Take note that there are several variants to the VC-10 wing and wing fences. Check lots of photos. They are not all the same and the RAF had ex-civilian aircraft from BA, East African, Gulf Air, Ghana etc as well as the original RAF variants.
Another major mod was the engine pylons. These come with a sort of gull wing configuration which is not wrong but not on all versions. I think there was a mid-life upgrade to the engines and repositioning the engines was one of those things. Earlier versions were straight and parallel with the ground. This requires cutting and reshaping in boiling water to set to the correct angle. The engine intakes are pretty awful. I cleaned them out completely and moved the stator vanes back about 1/4 inch, creating a duct with plasticard and miliput. I also cast 4 fan sets from an RB211 engine in 1/100 scale which matched pretty much a RR Conway fan blade. As good as I was going to get for this job.
That’s the build more or less. I got the decals upscaled by F-Dcal France, finished using automotive paints & lacquer, decided to have the gear up (the under carriage is very basic) and made a wood/metal stand so it can take pride of place on display as one of the best loved airliners from the 60’s.
I would do another one of these Anigrand VC-10’s despite the amount of sanding and filling. Next one will be British Caledonian if I can get the decals for it.
The kit retails for around £114 and the decals were £25
Useful reference for VC-10 builders http://www.vc10.net/index.html
By the way, the leading photo has had the stand edited out, just in case anyone thought I threw it across the garden 😉
20 additional images. Click to enlarge