BOB,Tamiya 1/48th Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1, RAF, May 1940
Flt Lt. Robert Stanford-Tuck was assigned this aircraft during the Dunkirk operation. On 23 May, Tuck opened his scoring by shooting down 2 Bf-110’s and a 3rd aircraft later that day. The following day flying N3249, he shot down 2 Do-17’s to achieve ace status. Being the first pilot to achieve ace status in the Spitfire. In his book,Flying for Your Life” N3249 is specifically mentioned. By the time the Dunkirk evacuation was completed on 3 June 1940, he and 2 other pilots had become aces.
Not going to debate what was the greatest fighter in history as everyone has their opinion and favorites. Just simply it was a great plane, great design for a nation that needed it during desperate times early in WWII. The Tamiya kit is simple, easy to build and fun to build. Not over engineered, enough detail to represent the Spitfire in all it’s splendor. This was one of my projects to start for 2014 way back when. So when the BOB was announced right after the D-Day GB, I had already started the project but put it aside while building the P-47 for the D-Day GB. Then resuming it once the P-47 was completed. I had always wanted to do an early Spit in the Black/White under surface scheme that was used circa 1940. The Victory Production wonderful set of decals that represent over 40 different schemes is an amazing sheet. I chose A/C #5, Tuck’s Mk.1, during the Dunkirk Op, in the Dk Earth/Dk Green over the Black/White scheme. I did lose the “P” that should be on the LH side of the fuselage and the bureau number on the RH side, because these decals really stick and settle pretty quickly even with a flood of AeroSet on the surface. A combination of the kit decals for the stencils and walkways along with Victory’s specific markings for this were used. The kit decals looked thick on the sheet but were quite thin once they were applied to the airframe. I used Vallejo Black and Polly Scale White for the undersurfaces, Tamiya Dk Green and Aeromaster RAF Dk Earth scheme type “B” for the upper surface camo scheme. Lifecolor Flat clear which dries very flat for the final coat. Aeromaster interior Grey/Green was used for the cockpit interior, along with black and silver for the details. MM Burnt Metal was used for the exhausts, Alclad Steel for the struts and wheels. MM Steel for the wheel wells and intakes.
Thanks for viewing.
11 additional images. Click to enlarge.