December 29, 2014 in Aviation
Getting in my last one before 2014 is over, is a project I completed about this time last year: ICM’s Yak-9DD, finished in the scheme of the “Warsaw” fighter regiment circa April 1945 and piloted by one A Matveev.
In all honesty this is an out of the box scheme and I make no claim to the authenticity of the markings, since try as hard as I could, I couldn’t source any more corroborative information other than what ICM supplied. Since this was one of Stalin’s “show” squadrons as he set about creating an ersatz Polish Airforce to usurp the PAF based in the UK, I elected to keep the finish pretty factory fresh. (I was also struggling at the time to figure out how to accurately weather an aircraft that was mostly plywood with a few aluminium panels here & there).
The kit though very basic in part count was a pretty horrible build. I was pre-warned about the odd oily plastic, and yes you need to thoroughly degrease it & seal with Mr Surfacer before attempting to add any acrylic paint.
Fit of components was fairly atrocious, so no walk in the park for this project I’m afraid. I would also recommend getting the photo etch set for it as it significantly adds to the finished product. (Part from Poland’s photo etch set S48-017).
The canopy shape is all wrong, but then neither is Pavla’s replacement offering correct, just the same shape in vac form!
I used it anyway as the clear plastic was poor in places. The decals were the only light relief since I thought they would be unusable but they turned out Ok dipped in Future prior to application.
It scrubs up ok after a lot of work though I won’t be building another one again……ever.
Thanks for looking and please feel free to comment and ask any questions you might have regarding the project.
Cheers & Happy New Year.