Trumpeters Sovremenny in 1:350
February 8, 2015 in Ships
I finished the Sovremenny in December 2008.
In general I don’t like modern warships. I find their angular superstructures ugly and out of proportion.
The russian ones look better though, and since I had won the kit at a contest, I thought I might as well build it. For above mentioned reasons I didn’t bother to do any research about the ship. I had read somewhere, that the kit is not true to the real ship, but chose to ignore that.
She looked kool. That was good enough for me.
Instead, I built her straight from the box and used her as a weathering exercise.
I strengthened the hull from the the inside, so that she would stand steadily on her posts and then attacked the waterline joint.
As usual I spent hours filling and sanding it and as usual I was unable to get it perfectly smooth.
Looking at the recent issues from Trumpeter, it looks as they have quit designing their ship kits with this so called “waterline option”. No one is happier about that than I am.
I hate waterline joints!
Apart from the waterline joint, the build went on without any problems worth mentioning. The manufacturers PE parts are clearly on the thick side. That is OK on the mast, but makes the radar look rather clumsy.
No railings came with the kit, so I used some from the spare parts box.
If this had been an ambitious build, I would have done something about the gun barrels and the ship’s boats, but this being a modern, and therefore less interesting ship, I left them as they were.
The paint job started with the main deck and the foredeck. I painted them grey and “worked” them with bleached tones. Then I painted some spots in the original colour, to represent areas where the deck had been touched up.
The red upper decks received a similar treatment, but at this time I hadn’t really got the hang of how to bleach red, so I’m not really happy with the result.
The ships sides also received a similar treatment and were then covered with a layer of Gloss to prepare them for the decals.
The manufacturers decals posed no problems, and once they were dry I toned them down with a thin beige mist.
To make the dirt streaks, I first wetted a part of the ships side with Humbrol thinner.
Then I put a miniscule amount of brown artists oil colour where the streak was to begin and worked the streak downwards with a fine brush.
This method is very forgiving. If you’re not happy with the streak, you can just wipe it out and do it over again.
To make the dirt streak along the waterline, I cut a fine slot in a piece of cardboard and held it a few centimetres away from the ship’s side. Then I sprayed a thin solution of dirt colour horizontally through the slot and thus I got my nicely diffused streak.
The helicopter is moulded in clear plastic, and was thus pretty hard to build. It’s hard to see the joints after you’ve glued the fuselage parts together and the brittleness of the clear plastic makes it harder to fill and to sand them.
Although this was a quick build and a weathering exercise I’ quite happy with my Sovremenny.
Furthermore I think that waterline joints should be prohibited.
16 additional images. Click to enlarge