The following is one of over 5,000 great modeling articles created through iModeler.

Roland D.VIb

April 23, 2015 in Aviation

This is Wingnut Wings’ 1/32 Roland D.VIb. The machine modelled is based on 7504/18, which fell into American hands at Koblenz in November, 1918.

A WIP thread is at

18 additional images. Click to enlarge

People who liked this article:
GuestProfile photo of Marek HalasMarek HalasProfile photo of Bernd MüllerBernd MüllerProfile photo of George WilliamsGeorge WilliamsProfile photo of Mark HousleyMark HousleyProfile photo of Richard McstayRichard McstayProfile photo of Erich GoldbachErich GoldbachProfile photo of Korolev VladKorolev VladProfile photo of bob mackbob mackProfile photo of Gregor dGregor d

32 responses to Roland D.VIb

  1. Spectacular build Rob! Well done

  2. Rob this is a real gem!!! Beautifuland a feasr for the eyes!!!

  3. Turned out nicely Rob….(the background is odd however – you in the tile business?) lol 🙂

    • It’s a polished granite section that I often use as a generic, but formal, display base, and it suits any model that fits the area. The background is one I use for figures, just a splurge of different paint effects on wax paper. I should do some other colour combos, for variety, maybe. Supposed to be a neutral pattern and palette so that it doesn’t interfere with subject colours. Thanks for checking in on the WIP by the way.

  4. Beautiful work! And an especially fun color scheme you selected – really makes for an interesting and engaging aircraft.

  5. Beautiful! And those colours! Psichedelic 😀

  6. Fabulous work Rob, it looks sort of loud as Gabor pointed out.
    Great kits those Wingnuts .
    Well done sir.

  7. just love it rob! excellent job!

  8. Wicked paint scheme, a real beauty!

  9. Fantastic. May I ask how you do the wood grain on the propellors? Brilliant.

    • Thanks, Paul. The prop is primed then base-coated with a buff acrylic. I think I used Vallejo Games Color ‘Heavy Gold Brown’ but anything similar will do. I applied artists oil Burnt Umber (it’s quite thick) and pulled it along the prop from the hub outwards, varying the strokes to create a laminate effect. Same process with a little Naples Yellow for highlights and Cadmium Red for variation in wood tone. Some people might overcoat at this point with a Clear Yellow lacquer (Tamiya) but I think this can destroy the subtlety of the lines. I would add that a stronger lamination could have been achieved, for preference, but I thought it looked OK. And besides, these props were regularly split or broken in the field and so were changed frequently with what was to hand. Final touch is a light spray of Army Painter Matt Varnish.

      Same process was used on the fuselage planking.

  10. Rob, Well done. Interesting/eye catching paint scheme. I especially like the engine work.

  11. That’s a jazzy one Rob! Very nice, especially the wood grain effect!

  12. Turned out well, as I knew it would! Great colour scheme.

  13. Incredible build Rob ! The wood effects as the whole build is stunning.

  14. That’s very nicely turned out Rob, well done!

Leave a reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.