Vinyl Cthulhu Monster in 1/350 scale by Inteleg
February 12, 2016 in Figures
This is an old Inteleg Vinyl model from the early ‘90s, of H.P. Lovecraft’s most popular baddie, the Great Old One, Cthulhu. I have had this model for nearly 15 years, and finally decided to tackle it. The skinny legs made adding plaster weight very crucial, as well as very difficult. The bulbous body and head received a filling of expanding foam, to give it some rigidity, and make it feel more than a vinyl toy. I inserted 22 gauge steel rods into the arms of the wings to prevent them from collapsing under their own weight. Before I filled the head with foam, I inserted a set of 7mm glass eyes I purchased on line from Glasseyes.com, who are based in Wales. Excellent service! The whole kit was assembled using both gap filling and super thin super glue, and seams were filled with Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty. Because of the skin texture of the figure, I did not have to smooth out the seams, rather I just stippled them with an old electric toothbrush, and the seams pretty much disappeared. What followed was nearly two months of looking and thinking, as I tried to decide what colours and what type of paints to use. I knew it was going to be slimy green and bilious yellow/green, but what paints to use was the real challenge. I finally settled on Tamiya Acrylics for the base colours, specifically XF-4 Yellow Green for the belly and wing membranes, and a custom mixed Pale Green/Grey for the main body and wing limbs. I then dragged out every Vallejo Ink tint and Transparent Colour I had, and went to town with a ¼” soft paint brush. Transparent Green, Green Ink, and Black Green Ink on the body and all 6 limbs, Transparent Yellow, Orange Ink, and Sepia Ink for the wing membranes, and Transparent Yellow and Orange Ink for the under body. Blue and Violet Inks were used for the back fin. After the main colours were dry, I stippled contrasting inks all over the wings to achieve a sort of worn leathery look. I dry-brushed Pale Yellow Reeves Oil Paint over all the green surfaces to lighten it up a little, and give the detail some pop. The claws and spikes were base coated in Polly Scale Dirty White, followed by a wash and wipe with Sepia Ink. When everything was dry, I over coated the entire model with Tamiya Acrylic X-35, Semi-Gloss Clear. I then removed the tape masking his eyes and cleaned up the little leakage that occurred, and screwed him to his base. I plan to one day add some 1/350 scale figures running away from him, but I am still looking for the right ones.
For anybody not familiar with this monster, I have included a link to the Wikipedia section on Cthulhu. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu
8 additional images. Click to enlarge