1/48 Hasegawa / Eduard early F6F-3
April 26, 2016 in Aviation
Here is another recent completion, a combination of an Eduard fuselage, and Hasegawa wings/tailplane.
I had a spare fuselage that came with the Eduard kit I bought when the Eduard Hellcat first came out. I didn’t want to let the parts be consigned to the spares bin, so I put out a request on a modelling sight for 1/48 Hasegawa F6F wings- I thought maybe someone used the Dangerboy wingfold set on theirs and wouldn’t need the wings.
So, when someone responded I couldn’t believe my luck. I had to tweak the Hasegawa wing parts at the front to match the Eduard fuselage, but other than that it was a pretty close fit. I then had to fashion the gun fairings from spare Hasegawa 1/48 F6F-5N parts (I am partial to Hellcat night fighters for some reason!) I wish I had taken pictures of the mods needed but was so determined to finish this kit this past February Break, that I neglected to document it. The Hasegawa tailplanes fit the Eduard fuselage fairly well with some filler. I also used a modified resin F3F rudder to take the place of the Eduard rudder part. I used a Hasegawa engine and wired it up. I used a resin copy of an Otaki Hellcat cowl lip affixed to the Hasegawa cowl part. I used a gauze teabag to replicate the mesh in the chin portion of the cowl lip. i also had to use an Obscureco resin propeller. I used the Eduard “closed” canopy. I also used the Hasegawa kit cockpit which fit more easily into the Eduard fuselage than I thought.
I had always wanted to build an early F6F-3 with the initial production gun fairings in my Hellcat herd, and Flatley’s double nuts was the one I wanted to model. So, I put out a request for spare Hobbyboss kit decals, which have #03 from the same squadron and time frame. That meant i needed two sets (for four zeros), and fortunately, 3 years after I had planned this build, I got decals that fit the bill. I had to carefully slice them up as Hobbyboss rendered the line weights too wide for the fuselage numbers. After thinning them to be accurate to my references, I finished up with spare USN stars and black 0’s, and a hand painted stripe on the tail.
5 additional images. Click to enlarge