Douglas A-20 in 1:48 from Italeri
June 12, 2016 in Aviation
The Douglas 20, sometimes called ”Boston”, sometimes called ”Havoc” is a bit of an unsung hero.
This, and its kool looks, were the main reasons I wanted to build a model of it.
It served in the French, the British, the Soviet and the US Air Forces. It served in a variety of roles and it was very much a pilots aircraft. Light, robust and easy to handle.
The fact that there is only one kit of the A-20 in 1:48, the old Italeri, previously AMT kit, is proof enough of how forgotten this excellent aircraft is.
The quality of the kit isn’t much to get excited about, but that suited me just fine, since I just wanted to build something fast out of the box, as a change from my latest ambitious ship builds.
I also took the opportunity to try Revells primer, which turned out to work well enough.
I raced through the build, taking care not to get bogged down into cockpit detailing and such. Because of the glazed nose, it wasn’t too easy to find space for weights, to make her sit on her nose wheel.
The fuselage halves fit together well enough and the fuselage to wing joints didn’t pose any major problems either. The nose part required quite a bit of filling and sanding though and so did the fitting or the clear parts.
Masking the clear parts was another challenge. It’ a thing that aircraft builders typically get very good at, but it’s only the second time I’ve done it. I had no illusions of doing a very good job of it, but I was pleasantly surprised when I removed the masks.
The really fun part of the build was painting the bleached desert cammo. I started with the traditional preshading and then worked my way forward with layer upon layer half transparent coats of the three basic colours.
The decals weren’t very easy to work with. Please don’t look too closely at them.
When I fitted the landing gear, it turned out that the weights I had put into the nose and the forward parts of the engine nacelles were insufficient. I had to fill the nose wheel landing shaft with weigts, before she would sit properly on the nose wheel.
Building the base plate was fun little project. I started by making some very low ”hills” and ”valleys” with wall putty and a carving chisel, to give some life to the large flat surface. Then I went out and stole some Berlin Sand at a construction site, mixed it with white glue and some light brown Vallejo paint and started spreading it out. I spread some more sand and a little pigment over it and planted some tufts of grass into the mix.
During the painting process I found some unique, previously unpublished pictures of the US 12th Air Force attacking the Italian Navy in Genua 1942.
Thanks Jürgen, for giving me the kit.
25 additional images. Click to enlarge