Stippling. Mistakes included.
March 16, 2017 in How-to
I had always avoided doing German afvs of the second world war as I dreaded trying to reproduce the superb paintwork I had seen on other built kits. Stippling was also not something I had needed to use in my builds. But I decided to give it a go on this old kit. I rescued it from scrap it had a lousy paint job and poorly assembled tracks and badly applied decals. So a good candidate for Stippling practice. I repaired the broken barrel and straightened out the tracks. I toned down the green and Sandy paint with enamel paint and washes. And then applied the red brown by stipple using an old brush I trimmed for the job. You can see in the second photo on the wheel I had too much paint on the brush. Even though I had taken what I thought was enough off of it. I tested it on a piece of card it looked ok so off I went. But as you can see it was too much. I decided to leave it as a reminder as the model is nothing great. But I kept on and I started to get the hang of it a bit. A few other parts got a little more than I intended but by the time ten minutes had passed I had improved if only slightly. As always it’s best to have too little on the brush than too much. Hope this may be useful to someone. Sadly the photos are not great. Old tech I’m afraid.
9 additional images. Click to enlarge