iModeler

Elevate your modeling today.
Whatever scale modeling means for you,
iModeler brings all the pieces you need and people together
so you can easily share, show and learn.

Sopwith Camel F.1 – Working with Wood

July 6, 2017 in Aviation

I hadn’t thought I’d be posting any updates so soon, but the airscrew came together rather quickly so I decided to add a few images. The details in the book/plans aren’t a 1:1 version so I had to find old Air Ministry specifications for the SC for a little more background to the type.

The wood is basswood and fairly easy to shape. I was going to try a Dremel attachment but the delicate curves really demanded to be hand-shaped, with 60g glasspaper and fine polishing wool, followed by a coat of Colron deep mahogany woodstain and seven coats of satin varnish.

I also cleaned up the wing ribs (various), removing laser-burn residue, etc., followed by a single light coat of Medium Oak Varnish Stain to keep them clean and add a little ‘warmth’ to the wood itself.

I’ve pinned a piece of greaseproof baking paper over the plans, as all the various wing parts are built up directly over the plans and I wanted to keep the original documents clean.

Lastly, the tips of Allied aircraft airscrews were often painted grey, sometimes with a fabric cover secured prior to painting. Some had brass sections fixed to the leading edge of the prop. This was to minimize damage to the leading edges from stones, etc., prior to the run-up to take-off. I may add the grey-painted tips later.

Everything will slow down now….

9 additional images. Click to enlarge

People who liked this article:
GuestProfile photo of Jeffry C. BaileyJeffry C. BaileyProfile photo of kloster zerokloster zeroGuestProfile photo of Ferry DierckxsensFerry DierckxsensProfile photo of P.kP.kProfile photo of George WilliamsGeorge WilliamsProfile photo of Stephen W TowleStephen W TowleProfile photo of Hans Wilhelm FischerHans Wilhelm FischerProfile photo of Louis GardnerLouis GardnerProfile photo of Phil SteelePhil Steele

22 responses to Sopwith Camel F.1 – Working with Wood

  1. Looks like a daunting task ahead, Rob…but after seeing your sailing ship a couple weeks ago, I have the utmost confidence in both your abilities AND your patience. Nice work on the “air screw”, too. 🙂

  2. Looks good Rob. I used to build the old die cut kits (pre moon landing) but never tackled a bi-plane. Lots of luck Amigo !!

  3. The prop turned out great !!!! Looks good. Thanks for posting the updates. I’ll be watching for this one for sure.

  4. WAYY too much work for me! This either has to be very relaxing to someone, or a stress nightmare! I know which it is for you, and you can probably figure out which it would be for me!!!

    Your prop looks simply great, by the way!

  5. Lovely work Rob – those ribs look pretty sharp too!

  6. Superlative,Superlative,Rob.

  7. Looking forward to this build. Way outta my skill set but love watching others

  8. Rob Pollack…the modelers modeler proving once again that modeling is more than plastic. Looking forward to seeing more progress in wood.

  9. Great work, Rob. I remember using Colron wood dye many years ago to try and simulate a teak finish on some model railway coaches I was trying to build at the time……. ah, memories.

  10. Excellent Work Rob – great craftmanswork!

  11. Excellent work Rob. Engine and prop together look fantastic. Quite a job sorting all the ribs, but they look great!

  12. Wow Rob what a project!
    All looking very good though and cant wait to see you next post.
    Martin.

  13. Outstanding, Rob! You’re quite the craftsman. I wouldn’t consider a project like this! Keep up the great work & thanks for sharing!

Leave a reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.