A group of Eight various 1/48 Spitfires………. Four Airfix and Four Tamiya, Mk 1 to the FR 46 / 47

Started by Louis Gardner · 332 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 9 months ago:

That is a shame about the Belle. It was a beautiful plane and looked fantastic in the Natural Polished Metal finish. You could tell the owners took serious pride in her.

However I'm extremely happy that no one was killed in the tragedy. It could have been worse, like with the DH Venom accident on the same day that had a fatality. Thank God this didn't happen with the souls on board the Belle. So there is a little silver lining in this unfortunate event...

Planes can sometimes be rebuilt or have some parts salvaged. Human life can not be replaced and is our most treasured of all things. These people will hopefully have a speedy (and complete) recovery and will be back with us soon. I'll keep them all in my prayers.

I'm glad to see you have the decals sorted out for your T-bolt. If the plastic is warped a little, you might be able to place the parts in hot water. Then carefully remove them and twist as necessary (taking precautions not to get burned) until the parts are back to normal. I know you can do this with certain resin parts, so it should work OK with plastic.

I would experiment with lower "Hot" water temperatures first, as too much heat could permanently damage the parts beyond hope. If they are not too bad, you might just be able to clamp them together while the glue sets up. This would be the safest bet...

Please keep me posted my friend. I'd love to see you start the Spitfire here as a new topic under the 100 Years of the RAF ... The P-47 is another good one to work on. πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Louis, the one photo with the 'full set' of tubs had me in stitches. All joking aside, your ability to organise this odyssey is hugely impressive! Between Chuck and yourself the GB is growing by the second - brilliant.

As you say however, always room for one more James...

And time too - more on that later.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 9 months ago:

You just never know Paul, we might be able to get James to build up a Spitfire... πŸ™‚ There's always room for more, and can you really have too many Spits ? Probably not...

Speaking of Spitfires, I made some progress on one of mine today.

What I am trying to do is this: I want to be able to paint the BP Defiant, the two early Hurricanes, and these three Mk 1 Spitfires all at the same time. So what I have been doing is concentrating on the early builds. The BP Defiant is very close to painting as are the Hurricanes.

The Spitfires needed some work, so that's what I concentrated on today. Please follow along, and I'll show you what happened...

The work was all on the Airfix Mk1 kit. I'm making this one as an early Mk1 with a two bladed Watts propeller.

I used the kit supplied decal for the instrument panel. The instruments didn't line up exactly, but then again I may have placed them a little off center. I'm still very happy with how it looks though. You can see it in this picture of the cockpit tub below.

From what I have seen online by looking at various pictures of original era Spitfire seats, they leather padded back rest was not always black in color. I have seen various shades of brown and dark tan used. So I wanted to make mine look a little different from most that have black seat back and painted this one in a lighter tan color. Believe it or not, I used RLM 79 ! You can see it in this next photo.

Here you can see the cockpit tub assembly showing the compressed air bottles. From what I have read, these bottles were used to charge the wing mounted MG's.

The Airfix kit has some very nice details cast into it. The kit parts look really nice once painted. The Hurricane kit is another one that looks great right out of the box. Here in these next two photos I have glued the cockpit tub in place and I'm getting ready to button up the fuselage halves next...

Here's the fuselage glued together. The fit was almost spot on. The only place that I had a little trouble was directly behind the cockpit, just ahead of the radio antennae mast mount. I had to really squeeze this are tight while the glue set up in order to eliminate a small gap. Once the glue dried it looks really nice. I'm building this one with the canopy open, so hopefully this are will be partially hidden with the main sliding canopy part. I also have been working with the insert that goes ahead of the pilot's seat. You can see it sitting next to the fuselage in this photo. I had to trim the outside edges of the instrument panel a little to get it to fir properly. Even so, this will still need just a little more work to get it to sit just right.

I still haven't decided if I want to drop open the side entry door. The early Mk1's didn't have a crow bar mounted on the door. They have it molded correctly on the inner sidewall and it's not present there. However the replacement door part has a crow bar molded into it. If I do this I will have to reuse the one I cut out from the fuselage.

I might just leave it alone and open one of the later Mk V kits up in this manner.

This kit should go together rather quickly from this point on.

Next up the two Tamiya Mk 1's...

Calling it a night,
    "As usual, Comments are Encouraged"...

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Louis, I believe Paul has figured us out...I have tubs on my bench as well. Funny you should mention it, they have Spitfire parts in them as well. πŸ˜‰

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

That's great news James ! I'm happy to hear that you have started working on your Spitfire ...

• Profile Photo

Over the last few days I have not had too much time to devote towards the Spitfires. Other "life" things have been interfering with the builds.

Today however I did get something accomplished.

It started out with the Airfix Mk 1. I decided to brave the waters and cut open the side door. It was really simple to do. How I did it was like this:

I used a brand new razor blade and lightly cut along the panel lines on the outside of the fuselage. This was done before the upper fuselage decking was installed. I cut from the rear to the front on the panel line that runs parallel to the thrust line of the aircraft. Then I cut the vertical panel line from the bottom to the top towards the canopy area. This allowed me to keep from cutting into an area that I shouldn't have. The Airfix plastic is rather soft, so this was done in a few swipes of the razor.

After trimming down the instrument panel, I was able to get the upper fuselage decking to fit a little better. One side fit a little better than the other. With a little swipe of filler, (or possibly some CA glue), this little gap shouldn't be noticeable at all.

The Port side turned out a little better. Here you can also see the results of the surgery performed on the door removal.

I wanted to get the early versions ready for painting, so that I could paint the same camouflage colors on the Hurricanes and the BP Defiant all at the same time. With that in mind, the cockpits on all of the Tamiya kits were completed and installed into the fuselages.
    Here you can see 5 of the Spitfire fuselages nearing completion. The Airfix kit is on the far left. The Tamiya Mk 1 kits are next, with the Tamiya Mk V's on the right side. I used some old "Pro Modeler" decals that were nothing but instrument panels for Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mosquitos and Typhoons for the IP's in the Tamiya builds.

Then it was time to start gluing on the wings... Here's the first of the Tamiya kits. This one is a Mk 1. I glued on the upper halves of the wings to make for a perfect joint. Then the lower wing half was added. The result was a gap free fit. Hopefully later tonight I can finish up the other Mk 1 Spit...

As usual,
    Comments are Encouraged.
    Thanks for looking !

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Looking great Louis!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Good progress Louis. The factory is in full production mode. Keep it coming..

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents !

Today was a very good day at the "Iron Werks" or as some now call it, "Casa Bromwich" πŸ™‚

To begin with, the wings and tail surfaces are all installed on the Tamiya Spitfires. I have not added the wing tips on the Mk V's yet, as I still have not decided on exactly what markings I will paint these birds with. I definitely want to build one of the Mk V's as a George "Buzz" Beurling plane from Malta. I just haven't decided which one to model, nor have I decided on the Airfix or Tamiya kit to represent the Canadian Ace.

Anyhow, here are the four Tamiya's as the currently sit...

Here's a close up of the Tamiya Mk V's.

and the Tamiya Mk 1's.

Then I started working on the Airfix Mk 1. I followed the kit instructions and built the wings, then installed them as a unit.

Building the kit using this method left a small gap along the Port side wing root joint.

I was able to fix this by adding in some plastic strip stock. Now the gap will be much easier to repair.

I continued work on the Airfix Mk 1, until the majority of the construction was completed. It's definitely starting to look more like a Spitfire now ! πŸ™‚

I decided to droop the elevators as this was normally how you see them in various original era pictures. This is a very nice feature of the new Airfix kit...

This next photo shows the elevator droop a little better.

Then I added the carburetor air intake under the nose, along with the radiator and oil cooler under the wings.

The radiator has some nice details cast into the parts. It is made up of four individual parts, and the rear air exit can be posed in the open or closed positions. Here's a close up photo of the part after it was installed.

These next series of photos were done as a side by side comparison between the older Tamiya kit (which fit perfectly with no gaps anywhere), and the new Airfix Mk 1. The Tamiya kit has the darker colored plastic, while the Airfix Spitfire is the lighter one.

Starting off with the noses: Tamiya on the right, Airfix on the left.

Here's the tail sections sitting side by side:
    Tamiya is on the top left, while Airfix is on the bottom right.

Both are very nice kits.

The Tamiya Spitfire seems to fit a little better, and has less parts which makes it an easier building model. Some say it has some shape problems, but to me it still looks like a Spit.

The Airfix version has quite a few more parts, making it a more complicated build. The Airfix Spitfire has more details, and has the option of pose able control surfaces. The Airfix kit also has the option of building several different types of Mk 1's from the very early two bladed un armored plane with a standard hood, to the later versions with a blown hood / armored glass / pilot armor and a choice of 3 bladed props. The three bladed props are offered with a Rotol or DeHavilland version along with the corresponding spinner.

I have been thoroughly enjoying the builds from each company. As far as the value goes, I would pick the Airfix model since you have a lot more options. The trade off is a little more work and the fit isn't as good.

Now that I know what to expect, I'll build the other Airfix Mk V a little differently, so please stay tuned with that happening very soon !

If you want to build something that is trouble free (and builds up very quickly), go for the Tamiya. These are still a very nice looking plane in my opinion. The engineering and fit are still very good even though the kit is over 20 years old now.

I'm calling it a night,

As usual,
    "Comments are encouraged"

Thanks for looking .

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Well, I caught up with all the posts I hadn't read (basically, pages 3-6) and I had to comment on various points.

Louis - you are one hellova modeler! Castle or Casa Bromwich is VERY apropos.

David L-S, your latest drawing is most excellent! I want an aluminium flying hat, too!

There sure are lots of beautiful Spitfires here.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 8 months ago:

I'm enjoying the Tamiya/Airfix close up comparisons - very interesting. I started feeling a strange urge to look at little closer at the rivets (I guess it happens to us all at some points - I promise I didn't count them!). They are quite different on the two kits. I have to say I prefer the Tamiya version in that respect, however well-engineered the Airfix kit is.

Anyway here is another photographic homage to Casa Bromwich!

Castle Bromwich Aerodrome - a little like your bench space - with these as yet unmarked Spits!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jeff for the kind words... and I really enjoyed David's drawing too ! The "Aluminum Hat" was the best !

Paul, thanks for sharing this picture with me... I hope you don't mind, but I stored it away for future use. πŸ™‚ Don't worry about the number of rivets, as I haven't counted them either. The ones on the Airfix kit are supposed to represent Zeus fasteners I think... The Tamiya ones are a little more restrained and might actually look a little more realistic. It's really hard to tell until the paint has been sprayed on. Each kit has it's own set of plus and minuses so far.

I managed to get a little more work done on the new Airfix Mk Vb today. Please follow along and I'll explain what I did, and why.

To begin with, after running into the minor fit problems with the Airfix MK 1 kit, I decided to take a slightly different approach with this one and venture away from the instruction build sequence a little. I'm trying to eliminate the gaps, and improve the overall fit by changing things up just a little...

I started off by building the "Vokes" filter. In the Airfix kit, this is a two part item with a seam running right down the middle. Tamiya has a different approach by offering the part as a single piece item with no seams to deal with.

I test fit the parts and ran into a little problem. The locator pin on the front was too big or the hole was too small. Here I'm pointing at the problem with the red tip wooden tooth pick.

So I ended up removing the locating pins and glued the parts together. This actually made a very nice fit after I gave the surfaces a slight sanding to make sure they were flat. Here are the results.

Next up I decided to glue the fuselage halves together. I am going to build the cockpit and install it from underneath as a one piece unit.

Next I decided to add the windscreen insert into area ahead of the cockpit. This is where I had a fit problem on the Mk 1. This took care of most of the problem.

But there was still a very small gap where the insert connects to the fuselage on the Port side. This problem is eliminated on the Starboard side if you cut open the door and plan on posing the cockpit with the entry door in the "Open" position.

In this next photo, I did just that, and cut away the side entry door on the Starboard side. This eliminated the small gap that was present on this side. I will have to add a small strip of plastic on the other side to fill in the gap.

Previously I installed the main spars and built up / painted the inner portions of the main gear wells. This part is ready to install now. This will come into play in the next installment.

The upper wing halves are ready too. These parts will get glued onto the fuselage next, but I ran out of time for today.

Once the upper wing halves have been added, I'll build the cockpit assembly and install it. Then after things have set up and the glue has dried sufficiently, I'll place the lower wing section in place, and start gluing it in, starting at the rear / middle, where it connects to the fuselage. The front lower / center section will get attached next, and then I'll work my way out to the wing tips to eliminate any possible gaps.

As usual,
    "Comments are encouraged".

Thanks for looking !

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good Louis, as you noticed the Tamiya's fit is spot on, just like their F4F Wildcat. Gem of a little kit in my opinion. Now as to the aluminum helmet, when wearing it are the antenna facing east and west or are they positioned north and south?

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Louis, as usual your works are a joy to read and to learn some facts. RAF is not my strong but there is no doubt a bunch of great airplanes that can be made into great scale models.

I remember building the Tamiya Spit MK.1 a few years after it arrived the stores, and found it an easy and straightforward build wich correspondes with your present opinion of it. Now the Airfix I never even saw the bare plastic except for some online images, but it does look good, despite some occasional gaps. The Vokes filter looks a pain to build though.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom,
    You're absolutely correct about the Tamiya kit. It has been a joy to build, as most of their stuff is... πŸ™‚ Your "Red Tail" Mustang really looks sharp. I hope you enjoyed the photos I added to your posting.

The "hat" gets its best reception when tuned in towards "Magnetic North" ! πŸ™‚

Thank you Pedro,
    Yes this Tamiya kit has been a very easy build so far. The fit has been spot on too. The Airfix kit also has a good fit, just not perfect like the Tamiya ones have been. The trade off is that the Airfix models have a lot more details, plus you have options as to building different variants right out of the box.

You were right on the money about the "Vokes" filter... more on that in a few.

I just looked at your last posting, and man oh man ! That FW-190is a real beauty ! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the compliments my friends !

Please stay tuned for the next update, which will follow in a few minutes. πŸ™‚