Airspeed AS.51 Horsa

Started by neil foster · 8 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    neil foster said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Hi Paul, well as promised I would like to submit something to your exciting G.B. ,hopefully more than one but for now I have just completed my second of these kits ,the first one suffered a catastrophic impact with the bottom of my stairs a couple of years ago and as I still had the dio undamaged always intended to re-do it and now I have.

For your information it is the Italieri boxing in 1/72 scale , the aircraft was first flown in 1941 with over 3000 examples being built.

My first one of these is still on this site in my gallery so if you want to you can have a look back and see pretty much what my latest version looks like although on the second one I used aftermarket decals with some cool graffiti on the side to make it clear that it is a new build. I have not done a build thread as I just don't have the time or patience, my building is fitted in round everything else, very rarely do I get chance to deliberately put some time aside for my hobby.

As I have not done a build thread I can't really post any pics until the reveal day but she is done and dusted and ready to go and as I said if you want an idea of what she looks like you can look at my first attempt in my gallery.

My next kit (which is already on the go ) is also a glider ,this time it is the Hotspur which is smaller and was less successful than the Horsa but carries RAF roundels so I guess fits the bill as well if it gets finished in time. I have two finished builds from a few years ago which carry RAF markings but are well off the mark one is the Airfix Bloodhound missile set and the other is the Airfix RAF rescue launch ! I know the floaty thing would really put the cat among the pigeons but there yours if you want them.

Cheers for now , Neil.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 9 months ago:

I look forward with anticipation your posting of this iconic aircraft, Neil.

• Profile Photo

Cheers Craig , nice to hear from you pal,hope your doing well.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Looking forward to your build Neil. Interesting subject the Horsa.

• Profile Photo

Cheers Ferry , like I said it's the second one I've done ,it's an interesting kit with good points and bad points, the tail wings on both my kits were difficult to align ,they seem to want to sit in line but with one higher than the other and a lot of parts have no locating point just a very faint mark in the moulding to indicate where they go ,but it is do-able.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Hello Neil, firstly thanks for the message - apologies for slow response I am at the mercy of very intermittent coverage and zero internet. It goes without saying I hope, all of your suggestions are perfect - the RAF is depicted in many ways. I am doing Spit, among others and Louis is doing 8! And we are far from alone. So the path less travelled is very much welcome and appreciated. I love the idea of the rescue launch. If you can send or post the kit details (scale and any operational details you want added) I’ll post them into the inventories! Thanks again!

• Profile Photo
    said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Neil. I hadn't seen your first build. Just had a look. It's a cracker. Look forward to seeing this one.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for taking the time out to trawl back through my stuff Anthony , the new one will look pretty much the same as it uses the same dio and all these gliders looked pretty much the same except this one has a bit of graffiti on the side but I promise it is a different model !
    Cheers N.