Building the Imodeler Random Monthly kit Award….. 1/48 Airfix Boulton Paul Defiant

Started by Louis Gardner · 89 · 5 years ago · 1/48, 100 Years of the RAF, Airfix, Defiant, Imodeler awards
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 2 months ago:

I have been meaning to get this one built for a very long time. I won it in the monthly random drawing here on Imodeler a little over a year ago. Here's the picture I posted when I received the kit from Martin and his team back in October of 2016 ! Sad to say it has been a long time ago...

I had good intentions, but I was always too busy building things for other Group Builds. Other times that thing called "life" got in the way.

This 100 Years of the RAF is perfect for this. Thanks go out to Martin and his team for providing the kit (and website to post it on), and Paul for starting this great idea for the Group Build.

So as promised much earlier Marin, here goes ! Sorry for the delay...

I'll be starting out with this kit:

It will be an out of the box build. I will be using the supplied kit decals, and decided on building the plane depicted on the box art.

The plane I'm building will be coded "PS * V" and flew from Martlesham Heath. The reason I picked this version is that I became friends with an American P-47 pilot many years ago who flew out of this airfield. He flew with the 356th Fighter group and his name was Ed Malo.

Sadly Ed passed away a few years ago.

So please follow along with this build. I plan on doing a kit review of the BPD prior to commencing the construction.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Hey, Louis - I'm in on this one. As everyone has been saying, these new airfix kits are lovely (especially given the price) and I'm looking forward to see how she develops.

• Profile Photo

Thanks David ! It's good to hear from you.

I hope I don't make a foolish mistake and mess something up too terribly on this one. So if anyone has any pointers on building troubles they may have had while constructing their kits, I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to post your experiences here. 🙂 and Thanks in advance.

From what I have been reading, these new Airfix kit go together quite well. I'll try to do an in depth kit review tonight, and post it in the headlines section.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Louis, that's a good kit, and I know you'll do a bang up job on it.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 2 months ago:

This is a great choice Louis, thank you so much for doing it and for tirelessly promoting this group build!

A rather nice link here is that 264 Sqn was formed in September 1918 - shortly after the RAF came into existence. Up to then and at that point they operated Short 184 float-planes - the first plane to sink a ship with a torpedo! Also the only RAF plane to operate at The Battle of Jutland. The use of the Short 184 to target submarines was not dissimilar to the use of the BPD in attacking convoys and subs, when 264 Sqn reformed in 1939!

Very much looking forward to this build - can't wait to see you work your magic on the Airfix plastic!

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys for the encouraging words.

Paul that's a very cool bit of information. I learned something here, Thank you !

Tonight I managed to take the pictures for the kit review... I hope to post the kit review tomorrow, and then I can get cracking on this one...

Please stay tuned.

• Profile Photo

Can't wait to see that review Louis. I am reading a book called 'Flak' by Michael Veitch, you may have seen or read it? Lot's of short chapters with interviews with veteran flyers of WW2 - usually (but not only) Aussies - many trained in The US or UK. The story of the Gunner in a BPD night-fighter is fairly hair-raising! Apparently the Luftwaffe worked out the rear gun quite quickly and the extra weight of the gun-turret and gunner made them a very difficult prospect to manoeuvre. Such brave men to crew these!

• Profile Photo

I just posted the kit review here:

1/48 scale Airfix A05128 Boulton Paul Defiant kit review
    So we are "all systems go" for launch...
  • Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 2 months ago:

That's great Louis, I'm in for this one also. Airfix did a good job on the new tooling and I like the subject very much. I had no real issues with the new tooled 1/72 version of this aircraft, only had to take care with building and fitting the gun turret. I'm looking forward to your work.

• Profile Photo

Hello Paul. It's good to hear from you.

No I have never heard of the book but it sounds interesting. It must have taken some serious bravery to fly into combat while manning a turret in a BPD. I can only imagine.
    I have read where the FAA was training pilots to fly the F4U Corsair in the Northeastern US. Here's a cool color picture showing this.

After the stateside training these pilots often reported for duty on board RN carriers.

Remember earlier when I mentioned the P-47 pilot who flew from Martlesham Heath ?

He had an artist make this little poster.

He signed it and gave me a copy. This was the inspiration for the markings I selected for this kit.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Ferry for the response and building information on the smaller 1/72 kit.

On this one, the turret looks like a little kit of its own. It's very detailed and I will definitely have to be careful during assembly because I want to get it right.

Thanks for following along with this one. I appreciate that.

Take care my friends.

• Profile Photo

Wow - that's a great piece of memorabilia, Louis - and a nice link to the Defiant's airfield - it is always extra special to have elements that add to the personalisation of a build!

I love the photos of the Corsairs - those rough markings on the nose add character (as if a Corsair needs it!) - I have an Eduard FAA Hellcat with the same look. Wonderful!

• Profile Photo

Having this little poster that was autographed by both pilots flying the plane is special to me. I am very fortunate in this regard. It does have a direct link to Martlesham Heath, and this is the main reason I chose to build the BPD in the markings I did.

I do plan on building a FAA Corsair fairly soon. Using that picture I provided above as a guide. Would it be acceptable for this GB ? I also have a FAA Hellcat (or two) I can build providing they are acceptable too, (and time permits).

Thanks Paul.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Cool choice Louis, looking forward to the build. By coincidence I'll be starting this kit shortly. Two things I purchased to make my build easier is an Eduard mask set for the canopy/turret(so many frames) and a camouflage mask set from AML. These are about $5CAN and come in "A" or "B" patterns. I haven't found a reviewer who has used them yet but I'm going to give them a go.

https://eshop.aml.cz/en/masks/1136-defiant-mki-148-b-camouflage-painting-masks.html

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Hello Louis, I'm just using a slower Sunday morning to catch up on what people have been up to on here. Wow - you blink and loads of excellent builds and posts appear!

Of course the Hellcats and Corsairs can be used in the build - I have always said the individuals can chose - and you have always said everybody must just have fun!