Building the Imodeler Random Monthly kit Awardโ€ฆ.. 1/48 Airfix Boulton Paul Defiant

Started by Louis Gardner · 89 · 5 years ago · 1/48, 100 Years of the RAF, Airfix, Defiant, Imodeler awards
  • Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Fantastic work on the Defiant Louis! Airfix made great work of this new tooling and there are a lot of similairities with the 1/72 version I've build. The fitting issue you've mentioned in front of the cockpit area is allmost identical to the 1/72 kit. The 1/48 offers a lot of details, so made me put this version on my growing wishlist. I'll keep following Louis, thanks for sharing.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks Pedro ! This is a very nice kit. I have several of the 1/48 scale "new tool" Airfix kits and they are much better than the previous offerings. I say go for it and build as many as you can. They go together quite well. I don't know if everything is in the box to build the Night Fighter version of the BP Defiant, but I do have some extra bits left over. These are primarily antennae's. I have included a photo of exactly what I'm talking about.

It "may" be possible to build a NF version out of the initial release, providing you grab an after market set of decals, but I'm not 100 percent sure. Please look at the picture and decide for yourself.

• Profile Photo

Yes Paul, the turret indeed has quite a lot of details in it. It went together without any problems at all. Tonight's update will show some photos of it after it was painted black... ๐Ÿ™‚

• Profile Photo

Hello Ferry ! Good to hear from you...

This is indeed a worthy kit to have included in your wish list. Mine has recently grown to add the new Sea Fury and Stuka, both in 1/48 scale. When they release the new Blenheim it will get added as well...

• Profile Photo

Today I got some more work completed on the BPD.

For starters, I masked off and sprayed the landing gear wells using Model Master "metalizer" paint. The color I chose was "Aluminum Plate".

Since I had the color loaded in the air brush, I painted the inside of the main gear doors too...

and sprayed the main wheel hubs... I noticed there is a fairly large dimple in the center of the wheel. I don't know if this is supposed to be there or not. I left it alone for now until I find out otherwise...

Next the lower portion of the main gear was sprayed too...

By now the pint had dried, so I removed the masking tape. This is how the gear wells look now.

The next color I sprayed was flat black. First up was the turret... which I detailed after the flat black dried... The 4 gun barrels and breech assemblies were painted in a "Gun Metal" color. The various switches and dials were picked out using a silver colored pencil and some dry brushing.

I wanted to spray the prop too. So it was assembled. Then I masked off the white area on the spinner, that I had painted several days ago.
    Here's the prop assembly now. I test fit it into the plane and it fits like a glove...

The last thing to get painted was the black portions of the main gear struts. I also painted the tail wheel while I was at it. Once I add some bare metal foil around the shock absorber part of the landing gear, these will be ready for installation. But I will wait until the rest of the camouflage painting is done.

I need to mask off the clear bits in preparation for painting. As soon as these parts are painted, and the remaining camouflage painting is done, this one will almost be wrapped up...

I'm really liking this kit... so far it has not had any nasty surprises and is a well fitting and engineered model.

As usual,
    Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Well done Louis. Sorry I arrived late again. I believe the landing gear were all silver, the black coming from a museum aircraft. Your fit issues were the same as mine, very tight but easily fixed. I found some of the parts fit so tight during test fit that I left them. I test fit my turret into the fuselage sans clear part and couldn't get it back out. Thankfully the fit was perfect. The clear part can be fitted after without problem. Don't fret about antenna wires. There was a radio upgrade and both decal options were without wires. Regarding the comments about the option of the pilot firing the turret in the forward position. It was looked at but never acted upon. Had this had actually happened, the guns could only fire forward at an upward angle of 19ยฐ or more to avoid the propeller arc. The camo masks were a mixed blessing. I go on more about them when I post shots of my kite. The clear masks but Eduard were definitely worth it

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Just spent some time going back through these posts, to catch up.

This is a good kit, or at least it seems so, with technology much like all current Airfix models. The comments made and minor issues encountered are a far cry from the real issues we used to find in times gone by.

Everything looking tickety-boo.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Aftermarket decals (Xtradecal did a sheet) are all you need. Everything is in the kit to do a NF.I

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Looks great, Louis! This was a real workhorse that didn't get noticed much. Their crews are to be commended. It was neither fast nor fancy. It just worked.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks gents for the kind replies.

George, I wasn't sure about the black on the undercarriage. Thanks for clearing that up. I may go back and re spray them in overall aluminum color. I'd really like to see some pictures of your build. If you have the time, and don't mind, you can post them up here if you want. I wouldn't mind that one bit... ๐Ÿ™‚
    As far as firing the prop straight ahead, that makes sense. Sort of reminds me of a Nieuport 17 or an early SE5A...

Masking the canopies is what held my build up. I wasn't sure if I wanted to have the retractable "turtle deck" raised or lowered too...

Plus I was kind of "holding out" as I have been thinking about adding a new tool 1/48 Spit or Hurricane and was going to be spraying the same colors... (you know how the "Iron Werks" is)

Good to know about the antennae wires... Thanks for the heads up !

Hello Rob,
    Yes this is a very nice kit. I am very happy with the "new" Airfix. It seems that all of the new releases are top notch. Boy you sure nailed it with that comment about how far we have come along with new kits and how things used to be... I can remember building some old Aurora kits many moons ago... Flash on parts was the normal, plastic blobs that were supposed to be pilots, and the wildest colors were used for the plastic. Yellow, red, green, silver and black ! Just to name a few... and there was no second guessing where the decals went... they "conveniently" had raised outline markings for most of the "stickers"...

Thanks Tom, but I'll try to go with the kit decals for now. I really wanted to build mine as the plane shown in the kit instructions as flying from Martlesham Heath, where my late P-47 pilot buddy flew from... If things don't work as planned, I'll go with "Plan B".
    Thanks again.

Hey there Jeff, my fellow DAT brother !

I found this photo, and since you mentioned the crews...

I'll try to get this one finished soon... Please stay tuned for future updates !

as usual,
    Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

My first question would be: how the heck is he going to fit in there? It is a great photograph - shows the weather on the 'cockpit access route' really well, too.

Your fit and masking around the wheel wells is stunning! And the turret detail is spot on.

Having just put down the Storch finally, I am now going to attempt to build a pair of Dunkirk planes for RAF100 - a Spit and a Hurri! We are thinking alike - I figured that the painting would be so similar that I could do them in series as opposed to parallel!

The BPD is looking great, Louis - another cracker!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks Paul.

Sorry for the late reply, but I just noticed yours. Yes I'm planning on painting several planes at the same time. Your Stork is a work of art. I especially liked the diorama you masterfully built for it. It brought home the realities of War. I also ordered a new set of early Hurricane decals... just in case there's enough time to add a Hurricane or two into the mix... and like you said, they share a lot of the same colors, so why not ?

In preparation for this, I ordered a set of new resin wheels for the BPD. The ones supplied in the kit didn't look quite detailed enough to match the quality of the rest of the kit. Hopefully this wasn't money wasted on an unnecessary upgrade.

Here's a photo of the parts that was supplied by the seller. I'll post up a few pictures once they arrive.

The kit versions looked as if they had a sink mark right in the middle of the wheel hubs.

Anyhow, I hope to get cranking the "Iron Werks" assembly line back up in a few more days...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

I have some great news... The resin wheel set arrived yesterday ! and they're a beauty ...

Here you can see the difference between the kit supplied main wheel hub (that has a rather nasty sink mark right in the center) and the new resin wheel hub details.

I decided to check them out for overall dimension and they look to be spot on... The kit wheel is on the left for comparison.

The set included a new tail wheel / strut assembly, and two nicely detailed wheel scrapers. Here you can see them on the pour stub as I have not removed them at this point.

Next the wheels were tried out by pushing one onto the axle shaft. I'm very happy to report that they fit perfectly, and no dill work was needed to open up the hole in the center of the new resin main wheel. I took a family group photo to show the differences...

Here's the added detail provided by the new tail wheel assembly... You can see where the tail wheel has a small gap between the top of the wheel and the tail wheel fork. On the kit supplied part, this is all molded solid as one piece.

In this last picture, you can see the inner and outer sides of the replacement wheels. I also placed the kit wheel next to these new resin parts. You will notice the kit wheels have tread while the resin wheels are smooth. They even molded in the "tyre" brand name "DUNLOP" on the sidewall.

I am extremely satisfied with how these new resin bits look and fit. I think this will be a definite improvement on "Daffy"... Last night I spent most of the evening painting wheels... and propellers for the various kits on the work bench now.

I'll post up some of them in a few.

as usual,
    comments are encouraged...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Hi Louis, I am reconnected! Those wheels look like a significant improvement on the originals - especially the tailwheel! The kit detail deserves these aftermarket wheels - great choice!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks Paul. I'm sorry for the late reply. I just happened to notice your response when I went to add today's progress. I agree the wheels were a definite improvement... ๐Ÿ™‚

I spent a little time today working on seams for some of the 100 Years of the RAF subjects. Top of the list was the BP Defiant. It's ready to start spraying on some upper surface colors now.

I temporarily added the retractable section just behind the turret.

Here's the underneath, as it has already been sprayed.

The top side is ready for some Green and Browns !

Possibly tomorrows project after some other "life" stuff is taken care of first...

as usual,
    "Comments are encouraged...".