Gloster Meteor F.8, Airfix 1/48

  • 22 posts
  • Last reply 5 days, 16 hours ago
  • 1/48, Airfix, Gloster, Meteor
Viewing 16 - 22 of 22 posts
  • Tom Cleaver said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

    Get the “Korea” boxing. Second pressing, done in UK, better quality control in production.

  • paul teixeira said 1 week ago:

    This really looks like it will become a great build and cannot wait to see it built. I wanted to build this exact model recently. I had been waiting to give it a try, but was conflicted between getting the Meteor, or the Airfix EE Lightning F1A. I decided to go with the Lightning but now I am not to impressed with the overall build experience. Seeing your article makes me regret my choice! I want a Meteor like yours…LOL. Good luck and keep her going. Want to see it.

  • Boris Rakic said 6 days, 13 hours ago:

    Thanks guys! Getting the fuselage halves and wings together is still a work in progress. Due to the parts being warped quite a bit I am taking my time, checking fit and alignment ever so often.
    I started by gluing the cockpit in the right fuselage half, using a clamp to ensure a gap-free fit in the back. Lead weights secured with two-part epoxy were used to add ballast.
    The fuselage was brought together using Tamiya Extra Thin, the joints were reinforced from the inside using CA glue. Most of the seams have already been filled with CA and sanded, but there are still some imperfections to be dealt with.
    Before assembling the wings I did a quick paintjob on the engines. Not much will be seen in the end, so I didn’t go overboard on detail.
    Gluing the wings together was started from the tips inwards, the last pictures should give you an idea of how – uhm, pronounced – the warpage really is.
    Next steps will be finalizing the wings and prepping the wing roots – right now it looks like the fuselage will have to be spread a bit to prevent a gap between fuselage and wings.

    7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Tom Cleaver said 6 days, 8 hours ago:

    I had to spread the fuselage on my first one. I used two pieces of sprue, cut to the appropriate length – one in the middle of opening and the other toward the rear. I must say, this is the worst warpage I have seen in one of these kits.

  • Paul Barber said 5 days, 22 hours ago:

    Boris and Tom, thanks for all the comments on handling the distortion seen here and previously encountered – it is actually really good for many of us to hear about and see the adjustments you are (very patiently) making – this will answer many questions that people haven’t asked but will be keen to learn answers to. Thanks so much – despite the bumps in the road it is looking fantastic!

  • Tom Cleaver said 5 days, 18 hours ago:

    Boris is proving daily that you want the “F.8 Korea” boxing. Molded in the UK with solid quality control. Better plastic, better molding, better kit.

  • Boris Rakic said 5 days, 16 hours ago:

    At least the plastic is so soft that it can be coaxed into position. With a bit of creativity you might even be able to create some cute balloon animals out of it…

Viewing 16 - 22 of 22 posts