Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR.1 RAF Wittering 1970 Airfix 1/72

Started by Ferry Dierckxsens · 44 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years ago:

I'm still working on finishing 2 subjects from 2 other GB's but I couldn't resist opening up the box and presenting my subject for the RAF 100 years groupbuild.
    The new tooled kit by Airfix in 1/72 of the Harrier GR.1 as flown by No.1(F) Squadron from RAF Wittering in september 1970.
    I will build this kit OOB and the first impressions I got from the parts is really good. So looking forward to start building it and keep you all updated.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years ago:

And we are looking forward to it too, Ferry! These new Airfix tools seem to hit the mark every time. Given the troubles at Revell it is great to see a burst of innovation from a 'traditional' company. Nice scheme too - very much a 70s look!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years ago:

Wow - that looks like a nice kit. My only Harrier build thus far was a Fujimi AV-8B, and it really took some work. I've got another RAF Harrier in the stash (MPC maybe - old Airfix) and another Fujimi Sea Harrier, both of which I'm eager to build as I'm just finishing reading The Battle For The Falklands. However, I may have to upgrade my stash with one of these new Airfix kits and ditch the MPC one!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years ago:

Good choice Ferry, I have some of these new tool kits in my stash as well !

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Well finaly got to the point of starting with my Harrier GR1. Did some work in preparation to the fuselage halves and started with the cockpit. The seat is made up of 4 parts of which the seat cushion will be added some later. I added some extra detail from scratch using Evergreen and some brass wire.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 11 months ago:

A great start Ferry !

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Great to see this underway Ferry - another RAF icon - brilliant!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Allan, thanks Paul.

Managed to do some more work on the Harrier. The cockpit section is build up and pretty much ready to get installed . Airfix provides decals for the instrumentpanel and 3 smaller ones for the side panels. Nice touch are the warning decals on both sides on the headrest of the ejectionseat. Made some straps just for visual impact and added the ejection handle in front of the seat. I made that from a small piece of fine brass wire and painted yellow with black stripes.

The air intakes are made up of two pieces each and also form the front wheel well, with a surprising amount of detail. The fanblade will find its place in the slot between the airintakes and will be visible from the view in the air intakes.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking good Ferry !

• Profile Photo

Stunning detail at this scale Ferry - one of the nicest IP decals I have seen - nicely done in your capable hands of course!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Allan, Thanks Paul.

Made a little more progress on the Harrier. Placed the engine fan in the airintake and the cockpit tub in its spot. Had to do a little adjustment to the front wheel well as the intake halves did not line up pretty well. Two small strips of Evergreen plastic made excellent work of this. I found out there are more modellers who had to take care of this little mishap, despite the new tooling. So the next step will be the closure of the fuselage and then it's on to the wings. Starting to look like a Harrier GR1 now.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Interesting about the wheel-well! The engine fan is an obvious 'give-away' as to the plane's identity but even from these early steps the signature shape is there - great work - love Harriers!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Paul. Yes the shape of the Harrier makes it very unique. I like them a lot, and in fact it's my second Harrier I'm building. The GR.3 version I did earlier. And now there are 4 other versions in my stash waiting. 2 of them the British naval ones .

• Profile Photo

Ferry I just made a note in my instructions for the wheel well, thanks !

• Profile Photo

My pleasure Allan. Did some more work and now closed the fuselage. A liitle touch up with filler on the bottom joint but nothing realy serious. The wings slot in nicely and need a little filler or PVA glue at the leading edge near the fuselage. Tail parts went on without any problems. And another tip for the Aden gunpacks. The fuselage shows four little markings where to add these gunpacks, however they are fitted with positioning pins. When you drill out the markers the gunpacks will fit perfectly.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.