Why do people fall in love?

Started by david leigh-smith · 73 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 1 month ago:

I'm not a big helicopter fan. I like fixed wings and a single propellor. But then, I love the Scottish highlands but spend almost all my time in central London, I always support the underdog watching sport, and feel more drawn toward the antagonist in movies and books.

So on a recent trip to the RAF museum I fell for this oddity. Head over heels.

The Bristol Type 192 Belvedere. I know, she's not pretty, or sleek, or a design classic. She's not well known, has no real record of outstanding service, and even flopped as a commercial vehicle.

But I fell in love and this is my contribution to the '100 years of the RAF' Group Build. Specifically the 1/72 kit by Airfix. Made when you had to dodge the dinosaurs on the way to the hobby store.

In the way of review, well - there's TWO sprues...

A two piece fuselage...

...and that's it.

Looking forward to a short but intense relationship; just don't tell the wife...

3 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 1 month ago:

She looks a beauty, nothing to be ashamed of. I fall in love with Bristols all the time (I'm talking about cars, of course).

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 1 month ago:

David, you already had my undying admiration for this choice - seeing the kit it just doubled. 'Best of British' with that lot!

George at this point I am trying hard not to post a picture of Sid James and Bernard Breslaw.

• Profile Photo

Ah, George. Don't get me started on Bristols. Or P47's for that matter...

• Profile Photo

There's a lot of work involved making this one interesting - as you can see there's no detail at all and it really is quite tiny compared to my usual tastes. But we'll see what happens.
    Thanks again for starting this GB, Paul, I'm loving following the posts.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Yes, but you get TWO pilots! and a stand!
    Wonderful choice David - a classic airfix kit.

• Profile Photo

YES! TWO pilots AND a STAND!

You feeling the excitement, David?

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 6 years, 1 month ago:

I am David, I absolutely cannot wait - all those rotor blades! - I feel like ( vicariously of course) that we have just run home from the LHS, and will have to build it THIS AFTERNOON!
    Now where was that tube of glue...sorry cement.
    It's going to be FAB!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Ungainly looking critter, but a nice additional! I sense a tad of scratchbuilding involved to match the images...?

• Profile Photo

David, I don't know why we fall for certain subjects. I just know sometimes we NEED to build a thing. So, buckle up, and come along for the ride; it'll be fun.

• Profile Photo

Yep, she's ungainly, Greg; but a little plastic surgery and she'll go to the ball!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

a little lipstick, some make up, a hair do... lipo suction, some Johnny Walker's. No I'm just kidding with you David. 🙂

This will be a good one to watch... sign me up !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, but I'm not sure what the wife would say about me sitting at the bench with lipstick and makeup on...

• Profile Photo

Well, made a rudimentary start on the old girl.

First off, any thoughts of a nice quick build disappeared. This is, unbelievably, the best dry fit of the fuselage halves. Mr. Milliput is gonna have a heart attack when he checks his shares this week.

The plan is to detail a little inside the entry, couple of seats, stretcher bunks, etc.

I made some quick bulkheads and will probably stick in a few stringers. Really, I just want to get to the exterior with this and put the main effort into painting.

Next up I'll make some scratch exhaust outlets; these are massively over scale and under detailed.

It has to be said, this is fun. Love these old kits...reminds me of that old saying, 'if only I knew what I know now when I was young...' You can see the kit's DNA through the color of the plastic, the HUGE amounts of flash, and injection marks.

Well, started cutting and sawing her now...

"IT'S ALIVE!"...

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

David, I hear that in the Far East, the indigenous used to call it "The Flying Longhouse". Reputedly this is a prototype, but I wouldn't be able to tell, being math challenged, among other shortcomings. Just a unique aircraft, and a worthwhile addition to the RAF theme. I don't see any kit manufacturer doing a new one, either. Pity.