Why do people fall in love?

Started by david leigh-smith · 73 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

And the mad Airfix riveter! Hope he's enjoying his retirement. He and the Matchbox trench digger have a bed and breakfast in the Home Counties.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Bernard, you are so right - that Airfix cat deserves his retirement. But you know, in this one instance he wasn't so far from the mark. Have a look at this.

Rivets EVERYWHERE.

So, I cut off and drilled out the exhaust outlets and sanded down the worst excesses of excessive plastic. There’s something just pleasing about the shape and balance of this I just love.

And I promise, I really promise, this is going to a short build... (did I say that out loud?)

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 1 month ago:

I can only add this...

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Smooth, baby.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Now here’s a diorama dilemma. Now the bench is clear I want to get a couple of more unusual entries into Paul’s (@yellow10) RAF GB. The missile will give me a chance to stretch the scratch building skills; after that I’m hoping to squeeze in the ancient ‘Smithsonian’ 1/32 Hurricane. Anyone any idea what that is below the chopper? Tried googling with no luck...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I have no idea what it is. I’m just very happy to see that you are even considering a sprinkling of your magic here! I reckon someone will tell you, but I’m going to have a looksee myself just because I like the idea of it being a solvable conundrum!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Something like this?

The Bristol link adds a twist.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

You see, Paul, that’s the thing about iModeler. Posing a question here is like asking the time in a clock factory. Thanks for that! Now to sniff out a bloodhound...

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

This kit first saw the light of day in 1959. However, the instructions seem to be written in ancient parchment that would seem more in place at the museum.

Despite recent disappointments with canopies I’ve discovered that hard lessons learned and experience gained count for naught when it comes to 1960’s Airfix. Look at this, the seem runs right through the centre of the screen.

Undeterred, I painted the interior, made up the rotor blades, and scratch built a little row of seats to add a little interest.

And a shot to make everyone feel nostalgic...

Managed to (almost) button her up. As you can see there more gaps in the fuselage than you’d find in an exceptionally holey Swiss cheese.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Those instructions are definitely from ‘The Wandsworth Book of The Dead’ (I guess Airfix were probably still based there when this kit was built).

I’m sure I sat kits on those stands. Although they rocked around and never quite fitted when I dealt with them!

Great to see this back in action. I think this dose of fill and sand therapy will be perfect. It’s a brilliant choice for this GB and I am chuffed it’s taking shape. Thanks for rebooting!

• Profile Photo

You are most welcome my friend. Just sanding and filling even as we speak.

• Profile Photo

After filling and sanding, I spent half an hour this afternoon with Rosie...

...the riveter, that is. Great little tool; has four attachments for 1/24, 1/32, 1/48 & 1/72. Just interchange them on the exacto knife and you can rivet your little heart away.

So we now have the hunk of sh...plastic actually looking like something now...

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Interesting build, David. Never actually seen a helicopter like it.
    How does Rosie the riveter work. Is it an indentation instead of a projection?

• Profile Photo

Peter, I have a bit of an affinity for misfits. Hence the title of the build log. We all know the Spitfire is a beautiful thing, and get the historical significance of the Harrier, but I wanted to contribute something to this Group Build that championed the diversity of the RAF. I think she's lovely in her own special way.

Rosie is a great little tool; yes, it is an indentor (I know that's not a word, but you know what I mean), but when you think of scale perspective (especially at the smaller scales) it works really well. This model is a great example of that; although the kit rivets are actually raised, when viewed alongside the 'Rosie' rivets you just can't tell the difference.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks David for explanation. I thought it would be an illusion (shadows are the same but reversed).