Inventory

Started by Paul Barber · 92 · 5 years ago · Group, Inventory, RAF, RAF100
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 years ago:

And #100 of previous builds:

Airfix 1/48 Spitfire I - Flt. Lt. R.R. Stanford-Tuck, 92 Squadron at Dunkirk, May 1940

Victory Productions Decals: "Spitfire: Aces of the Empire"

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years ago:

Some lovely builds there Tom and # 100, well done.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years ago:

Paul, one helicopter is not enough ! this will also fill the gap in timeline, 84 Sqn RAF, Cyprus 1987.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years ago:

Very apt that the Cleaver/Stanford-Tuck combination is the 100th in RAF100! Fantastic stuff! After a brief modelling hiatus at the Comm Games I will now get 'back to business' after neglecting the admin here!

• Profile Photo

Allan, brilliant - after your sensational Lynx for the YOTC GB (among your other great contributions) this is going to be fantastic! Can't wait!

• Profile Photo

I had the privilege at the 1984 American Fighter Aces Association Convention to be "vouched for" by Chuck Yeager, who I had driven around and done all the things a "movie flunky" does on The Right Stuff, so all the Real Guys took me seriously. I was friends with Jimmy Goodson and his wingman Bob Wehrman, and so that Saturday night, I kept my mouth shut at our table and paid attention as Gunther Rall joked with Hub Zemke about nearly bleeding to death as he parachuted from the airplane Zemke shot down, shooting off his thumb in the last burst; as Bob Stanford-Tuck (the kind of Brit we Yanks become Anglophiles for) and his good buddy Adolf Galland caught up with each other, as Jimmy and Walter "Count Punski" Krupinski talked about chasing each other - I will never forget Krupinski telling me how, when he had III/JG26 set for a "company front" attack, known to the bombers as "Twelve O'Clock High," that "Just before I gave the order to advance throttles for the attack, my entire life passed before me - 20 percent of us were going to die in collisions, and no one could know who."

The next morning over breakfast, Jimmy said something pretty profound: "We all had more in common with each other than we did with the rest of those on our respective sides."

Stanford-Tuck was such a superior Englishman to both Douglas Bader and Johnny Johnson, both of whom I had met the year before - both the kind of condescending Brits to the "former colonists" that made me glad my ancestors had given you "lobsterbacks" the boot 200 years previously.

• Profile Photo

Apart, of course, from turning everyone completely green with envy with those names, and once again making me question why the English ever chose to go to war dressed in red, I'd have to say that 'we' too have a view on Bader - for all he achieved he was recognised as a right royal pain in the backside and someone who looked down on those below his rank. When working out which Mk 1 Spitfire to do for this GB I chose Willie McKnight's instead of Bader's for that very reason - although in terms of RAF history I should certainly have included him...

• Profile Photo

Meeting Bader was one of the great disappointments of my life. Read "Reach For The Sky" as a kid the first time, thought of him as an inspiration for a long time. And then to see him live down to every story I had heard of him (you should have heard what Galland had to say about dealing with him during the making of Battle of Britain)... sad. Johnson's autobiography was the first "real book" I bought with my own money at age 11 when a guy was crazy enough to open a book store in the neighborhood market street. Getting that condescension from him was also a big pain. But I can say that way too many aces are disappointments as people on meeting them.

But the really good ones are worth it. That weekend in 1984 was one of the great times of my life.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 5 years, 10 months ago:

From what I have heard about Yeager from virtually every source he sounds like a proper angry little man with a chip on his shoulder ,a real pain in the arse ,the kind of big mouth "better than you " A -hole that creates the stereotype of your countrymen that many people beyond your borders believe (wrongly I should add) to be true , I got about half way through the biography "Yeager" and had to put it down I could not read another word of this irritating little mans tripe , what summed him up for me was that he was prepared to continue with the X1 mission whilst injured rather than risk someone else getting his bragging rights ,the opportunity to exercise his big yap for the rest of his life was worth risking the entire project for.

Maybe some of those guys did come across as condescending to a former colonist like you (your words) but don't forget they had already fought there way through the battle of France, Dunkirk, the battle of Britain and North Africa while Yeager was still kicking horse c**p round some hick town and picking fights with anyone bigger than him ,or maybe they just didn't like flunkies like you (your words) and lets face it Yeager would vouch for you you were driving him around.

A good friend of mine who is 93 and completed 19 missions as radio operator in Lancasters ended up for a time at the end of the war and just after serving under Johnnie Johnson and remembers him as a decent man and a great commanding officer .

So meeting Bader was a disappointment eh? I'll bet he didn't think much of you either.

N

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Paul, I will add this to previous builds, EE Lightning F1, 74 Sqn RAF Coltishall 1962, done for YotC GB.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Paul. The Victor is almost done and will be on time for the reveal. This mean that I have time to do at least one more kit. I’ve chosen the Airfix A-W Whitley GR.VII. I don’t think we have any ASW aircraft being built, so I’m happy to build something to represent Coastal Command in the Battle of the Atlantic.

1/72 Whitley GR.VII
    502 (Ulster)Squadron
    N. Ireland, 1941

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Ah, so you're going to take Oooooooogly and make it Triple Oooooooogly. 🙂

"the flying barn door" indeed.

The Airfix Whitley kit, whichever version, is good. Have fun masking the canopy (almost drove me blind)

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Nice pick ! John@j-healy - I will look forward to that.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I love the kit . I built the Mk. V too and spent a couple days masking.

• Profile Photo
    Ray Seppala said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I am a bit late to the party, I had forgotten all about the Group Build area here!
    I would like to contribute a 1/72 Revell A400M (ZM406) in 70SQN 100th Anniversary markings circa 2016/2017. This aircraft entered service in 2015 and is still operational, the 100th Anniversary markings have now been removed.