Number 56 Squadron Sopwith Snipe 1/32 – Wingnut Wings – The Roaring ’20s!

Started by Paul Barber · 20 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 8 months ago:

With limited contenders for a 1920s RAF100 build I decided a while ago to treat myself to a Wingnut Wings Kit (or two). I chose the Sopwith Snipe of No 56 Sqn, as shown on the box art, with its famous chequered markings (which appeared around the time of this aircraft in the early to mid 20's). Also pictured are the 7 sprues (I have begun dry fitting the rotary engine parts), the customary fantastic WNW booklet of instructions and info, and the impressive decal sheet.

Here is the aircraft I have chosen to build:

And some more detailed shots of sprues and individual parts:

Here are some examples of the instructions - chosen as they are the sub-assemblies I will be doing first up:

And finally some dry fitted parts of that engine:

[

I have never built a WNW kit before so my mistakes and shortcomings will be there for all to see as ever - hopefully not too many, but useful to those who also haven't built a WNW bird. Here's hoping I can generate an acceptable 1920s subject for RAF100! More on the history of the plane later!

Thanks for looking!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Great choice, Paul! I almost selected that kit for the build but settled on the Victor. I’ve built two WNW kits (Pfalz D.III and Junkers J.I) and really enjoyed both. The nice thing about the Snipe is that it has simpler rigging then most British a/c of the time. I’m looking forward to seeing yours.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Although I've never done one, everything I've seen and/or heard about those WNW kits have been nothing but good (as I'm sure this one will be). Thanks for the review pics.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 8 months ago:

The Snipe is one of the easiest WNW kits. The interior is easy because so much of it has been simplified in terms of parts count by new molding technology, without losing detail. What a lot of people don't understand about these kits is their design philosophy: Sir Peter Jackson is, by his own admission "not a really good modeler," so the kits are designed for a guy like him to be able to get a good result - this is why you see such outstanding results when "good modelers" do one. They're designed to fit right. Just follow the instructions and a great result is guaranteed.

• Profile Photo
    paul teixeira said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Love these WNW models, Love the choice u made! I am very jealous. I need a new WNW fix so will be living vicariously through you while build this glorious kit. I would get one but just so broke. I have found some really good videos demonstrating unique painting tips for these bi-planes, one specific to the WNW camel. Helps with the look of showing ribs through the skin of wings. Maybe you have seen this but if not I am sure a search will bring it up.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

This will be a fantastic build to follow along with... From what I have seen online, these WNW kits are museum master piece items once completed... I'm sure yours will look outstanding and I'll be looking forward to your next update. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Good one Paul !

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks John - I chose the late Snipe based on its operational years initially - but upon looking harder the less arduous rigging (which will still absolutely test me) was a definite bonus.

Tom, yes the detail is really nice on these WNW kits (from my limited experience). I guess a kit is a hard or easy as you make it. When I look at some of the builds on here - and how people modify and improve upon the contents of a box I never fail to be amazed at the genuine craftsmanship. I will be taking the 'route of least resistance' and using the instructions and scheme provided! As a 'peace-time' plane it is likely that this was well looked after, so weathering will be fairly low impact too.

Thank you Paul - it was a trawl through the internet looking at the various tutorial videos that convinced me to do a 'between the wars' plane. I don't know if you have had a chance to look at that RAF 100 documentary with the McGregor brothers.

They simulate a biplane dogfight with maybe 5 or 6 planes and when backlit they are fairly transparent. This may not have been the case with all of the 'doped' surfaces but I think it presents its own challenge in terms of shading. That Camel video - certainly helps!

Louis and Allan, thanks for the encouragement - the quality of some of the WNW builds (and Copper State and Gaspatch for that matter) I have seen here and elsewhere certainly made me think hard about putting up a WIP, but kits are produced for all levels of ability and I will give it my best shot despite lacking any expertise at all - particularly in 1/32 biplanes!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 5 months ago:

So, deadline looms and I am going to have a belated go at the Snipe - I have cut most parts of the sprue and sanded and dry fitted them. Next a few sub- assemblies and see where it takes us with about a fortnight to go!

Here are some phone shots of the engine - I have primed the push rods and cylinders (with the rocker arms fitted) in a dull primer, and the Intake pipes in a gloss primer (Alclad) to allow for a different texture. The engine should all be painted 'steel' but different parts were grimier or more polished than others so I will try to capture that.

Here are some photos from the WNW instructions:

Next I'll paint and finish the engine and then head off for the cockpit while painting the wings!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 5 months ago:

That engine is a little gem, Paul. Looking forward to seeing the Snipe take shape!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Looks superb Paul - best of luck with this one!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Like the others, I'm looking forward to seeing the next installment... It does look superb !

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Used some different paints to finish the engine. The steel look of the cylinders was AK dark steel pigment dry brushed over matte black primer. The intakes polished aluminium (AK extreme metal enamel) over gloss black primer. And the push rods matte alumininium over matte black
    primer.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 4 months ago:

A little time working on the Vickers Mk 1 mgs. Attached the photoetch WNW provides - the remaining parts will be added after some detailing paint work. Then primed flat black and dry brushed dark steel to get a gun metal finish.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Last updates of the weekend. The Snipe is going on apace! Doped linen and a wood base internally. The engine spiced up with some citadel layers. The IP started. The fuel tank and fittings sorted. A lot of priming. And some Alclad white aluminium to mimic aluminium dope on the upper wings and stabiliser. Finally a look at the bench a week out from RAF100 reveal. It’s all happening!