RAF 1/48 Tamiya Bristol Beaufighter Mk.VIF 61053

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 95 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 11 months ago:

This will be my fourth and final entry to RAF 100 year anniversary GB. My very first ever Beaufighter in any scale. Growing up I always eyed the Revell 32nd scale kit and never tried it. In fact one day I went down to Sears (when they had a pretty good toy/hobby section at one time) to get it, but didn't have one in stock that day I went, so I ended up getting the BF-110 instead. So I am quite anxious for finally getting an opportunity to build one. So let see whats in the box.

First we have the typical Beaufighter paint scheme in the Medium Grey/Dark Green over Light Grey pattern.

The decal for 3 schemes, MTO, Night Fighter and the first scheme previously mentioned.

The kit is moulded in the typical Tamiya med grey plastic. The details are great for this scale. Though some say that the interior is a little bare, though I think for me it is fine. I picked up a zoom set for some enhancements for the cockpit. The engines are nicely detailed as well as the stringers within each side of the fuselage interior.

Whats nice Tamiya provides the thimble nose though none of the markings in the decals are for this variant.

The set of decals I ordered for this will be for this variant and Mk.VIII radar. It will be in an overall Medium Grey With Dk Green camo on top. Will be looking forward to building this.

Chuck

Fly Navy

9 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Looking forward to this one, Chuck...gonna be a beauty.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Chuck, your post reminded me of a 'relationship' I had with a 1/24 Mustang when I was around 12. I saw her in the local model store (hard to believe such things existed in our small village) and I saved up every week. Finally I had the money, looked at the model, thought about the amount of cash it cost (a lot for a 12 year old) and walked out the store. I went back a few days after, determined to buy the Pony but she was gone. Well, until 35 years later when I bought the kit in the original boxing at a price that'd make my 12 year old self have a heart attack.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Still a nice kit today.

• Profile Photo
    paul teixeira said 5 years, 11 months ago:

i think kit cockpit detail looks good compared to some kits, I liked the raised relief detail such as knobs, sliders, throttle...not bad.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Craig, I saw your rendition when looking over some of the previous Beaufighter builds that have appeared on imodeler over the years. There are quite a few and all fantastic builds.

• Profile Photo

David, the one that stills imprinted in my mind is the Monogram B-52 with jet sound. Always wanted that kit. Now I think it's priceless. Seems like every time I went into a store that had models or hobby shops that kit was on display on a top shelf prominently in view. That and the visible V8 engine.

• Profile Photo

Rob, as far as I know the 3 Beaufighters from Tamiya are it in this scale. But I won't be surprised if and when Airfix will finally fill a void with some early versions with the straight tail vice the V-stabs. Really I am quite surprised any of the Asian manufactures like Hobby Boss, Trumpeter or Kinetic haven't made one, (incl Kitty Hawk).

• Profile Photo

Paul your right, it kind of reminds me a bit of Monogram that were very good with the cockpit details. Still were.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 11 months ago:

I have a crush on the Beaufighter. I admit it rather freely. Which means, Chuck, that you and I might have issues...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Another great choice Chuck! DAT has told me all about his current love affair with Beaufighters! You are certainly going to make him jealous!

On a more serious note you are setting legendary standards and 'quantities' in this GB, along with Allan. Thank you so very much!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Chuck, I'd be surprised if we all didn't have at least one 'one that got away' story. I'm really glad you are doing a build thread on this. Popcorn at the ready, as they say.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 10 months ago:

As my usual style, I prepainted the interior components with RAF Interior Grey/Green. Starting with the fuselage halves, the stringers will be nice to enhance later when the construction begins.

Next the cockpit/interior floor section, inside the entry ways doors, seats and bulkheads.

Then the interior of the wheel bays which is not the typical natural metal aluminum look. Also the gear doors and sections of the landing gear components. Then lastly the inside of each cowling.

While working on another project airbrushing black, I went ahead and airbrushed the engine faces and the props. While at it, did the yellow tips as well.

more to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Chuck some great work here, as ever!

I'm going to leave this link here, you may have seen it - I think for those who want to see the Beau in action and hear from crews it is a great watch!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks Paul, I appreciate the video. I love to see these old videos, the aircrews and the aircraft in action and in color too.