RAF 1/48 Tamiya Bristol Beaufighter Mk.VIF 61053

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 95 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 10 months ago:

As usual the build will begin in the cockpit. Specifically with the instrument panel.

And with the PE enhancements.

First the IP is fair in detail out of the kit. But with Eduards basic zoom set it will enhance the details a bit. This is not a pre-painted set. First removing the IP from the sprue.

Removing the center section of the details to accept the upgrade bits.

The pre printed instruments are attached to the panel with white glue.

Then the PE panel attached over the instruments.

Next removing the pedals from the sprue and attach to the back of the instrument panel. And thats it for step 1. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Chuck. Splendid build thus far. Can't wait to see the final product in its Foliage Green camo. I am also building this kit. You can check out my build on the Work in Progress section. Mine is a tribute to the SAAF pilot Steve Stevens that flew the Beau in the Med Theatre over Yugoslavia.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Morne, this will be in a standard Medium Grey/Dk Green camo. And I did read up on your build as well. I have used it as a guide for this one. As I get started on this.

• Profile Photo

I have always liked that scheme better than the overall Foliage Green which seem to be the norm for most Modelers. The fact that the Beaus weathered terribly over in the Pac Theatre allows you to weather it to perfection.

• Profile Photo

I have 2 more Beau's one may get the Foliage Green, one an overall black scheme, though I would love to do a MTO scheme. Will see. Looking over your build seems like it was yesterday you started the project but it is over a year old, geez.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Great progress here, Chuck. The instrument panel looks terrific and I'm loving the amount of detail in this thread. I also really like the way you use the instructions for notes. I'm amazed I've never even thought of that; great project management.

• Profile Photo

Thanks David, the notes normally come in handy so I don't have to keep double checking the paint codes on the front page. Even though for the most part i know what the color will be, it just a reminder note.

• Profile Photo

Work related issues and lots of commissioned builds kept me busy as well as other unfinished builds. Will get back to it within the next couple of days!

• Profile Photo

HI Chuck, and thanks. Yes, I was thinking of just taking notes in general on the instructions, not just the paint and color notes. I have such an inner geek that this sort of thing gets me excited. I need help...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 10 months ago:

David, I'll join you in geekdom - I do it where instructions use different paints to those I prefer - the current Airfix crop definitely gets this treatment.

Chuck, coming on beautifully - a little later I'll build mine up in some kind of desert garb - this will be my 'go to' thread. Top notch!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Chuck I agree with Paul. I'll be using this article as a future reference too.

Morne, I understand the reasons behind your build not being updated recently. The scratch building you put into it is amazing and when you get the chance we would definitely appreciate an update.

Chuck those Eduard PE instrument panels look fantastic. I remember the F4U that you built recently and used them on. They really add a lot of pop for the money.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your next installment.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

• Profile Photo

Step 2 is working on the cockpit and rear compartment floor.

As noted the floor is pre-painted in Aeromaster Acrylic RAF Interior Grey/Green. Touched up with silver pencil in high traffic wear areas. With a wash to highlight the hi-lo points around the interior.

1st item to install is from the PE set and insert a bulkhead with some detail into the rear entrance way on the rear of the compartment floor

Next the rear observer seat pedestal.

Next up the forward and rear bulkheads are installed. As you notice the floor appears to look like it is warped. But it is designed this way to follow the contour of the fuselage.

Then working in the cockpit area, a control wheel mounted on a pedestal is installed along the RH side console. Then the control yoke. Some of the instruments and boxes are painted Black.

The instrument panel is installed. Next the conduit line is painted sky and aluminum and installed along the RH side of the interior compartment floor and notch on the forward bulkhead.

The rear observers seat has the PE belts installed.

Next up test fit and then install the cockpit/compartment floor to the RH fuselage half. more to follow.

• Profile Photo

This is becoming a seminal 'how to...' work , Chuck. Great photos, details, and text.

• Profile Photo

It's looking great Chuck. The cockpit looks real good!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Couldn't agree more with David and Morne, Chuck. This is turning into a classic!