RAF 1/48 Tamiya Bristol Beaufighter Mk.VIF 61053

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 95 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 9 months ago:

it is Louis, they are great to work on after a tough intensive kit worked me over a bit, and to work on this is a nice change of pace.

• Profile Photo

Now to assemble the wings and attach them. First removing the upper and lower wing halves from the sprue.

Tamiya has a unique approach in how the wings, center lower section will be assembled then attached to the fuselage. Though it does create the hazard of misalignment if not careful despite being a Tamiya kit, still gotta to take your time and not rush things.

The lower center section also houses the engine nacelles and wheel bays. Also the forward crew entry door is located here as well.

Here the wheel bays were painted RAF interior Grey/Green as well as the crew entry area. The door and center wing spare is installed into the center section.

Once those bits are in place, next to attach the lower wing section to the fuselage. And some how ended up with an ugly seam along the RH side of the nose. The LH side is ok?

Something that will need to address when it's time to prep for paint. Next I attached the LH/RH upper wing sections and ended up with some gaps on both sides of the fuselage to wing join area. Quite nasty on the LH side.

Under the wings the gaps along where the outer panels meet the center section was as expected and some clean up will be needed here as well.

With the wings now installed, and checking the overall fitness and work that needs to be done to cleanup what is really not being careful on my part.

Nothing major really, just more work for me to clean up those seams. And man this Beau is a beast. Much larger than expected. This plane is not small in any way.

Next up the tail feathers. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Hey Chuck ,nice looking build, I have this kit built up and it will be a great addition to your stable.
    Looking forward to seeing the finished job.
    N.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Neil, so far it has been a joy to build. Though I have created my own issues on some clean up. Otherwise it has been pretty straight forward. Didn't realize how large this plane is. I thought it was like BF-110/P-38, but much closer to a medium bomber in size.
    in this installment, I will attach the horizontal tails. This version which is what is in the kit is the V-shape tails. Though next one I think I will get the mod set for an earlier straight tail variant.

Pretty much a simple process, 4 pieces make up the LH/RH stabs.

Careful alignment and the RH stab is attached.

Next the LH side is assembled and attached to the air frame. They go in quite well, the attachments points very positive and ensures alignment.

Double checking for the correct angle and set match, looks good.

Next up the engines and cowlings. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 9 months ago:

I like how you have posted this build pretty much as a step by step sequence. I'll be coming back to this build journal as a reference when I get around to building up my Tamiya Beau fighter kits. I have two of them in the stash.

I have been itching to build a Tamiya Mosquito in overall PRU Blue. I have one of these in 1/48 in the stash, and it's been inching towards the build pile. First I have to finish up the Spitfires...

Looking at your Beau fighter build makes it even more tempting.

Looking good Chuck !

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Have to agree with Louis (again!). I'll be building a Beaufighter at some point in the next 12 months and I will be right back here using all of the experience and skill in this WIP!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks Louis, Tam's approach in assembling the kit is quite easy to follow and the procedures make sense. Very little deviation which I will do sometimes. As there are certain parts I leave off until the end.
    Paul: Thanks, I think next time as I do have the other 2 Tam variant of the Beau. I will install the upper wing halves to the fuselage then attach the lower wing section. That should eliminate the gaps I encountered on this one, though I believe it is more me than the kit.

• Profile Photo

Before getting more into the build. I first applied MM steel for the main wheels, engine faces and gear struts. But I may have to do a little more research as the main gear struts may not be natural metal or aluminum they may be painted grey of some shade. Will get back to that later. Though I did paint the main retractors RAF Int Grey/Green.

Next is two build 2 engines.

The engine consists of several components starting with the base which also serves as the cowling flaps.

Next is the engine before being attached to the base.

Once the engine is attached then the prop boss is inserted then the crankcase is attached to the engine.

Then the assy attached to the RH engine nacelle on the wing.

The same steps are followed to complete the LH engine and attached to the wing as well, and just like that then we are ready to attach the cowls.

The one annoying feature the last few Tam kits that has been troubling to me, not really an issue just annoying, the Corsair and the Dinah. Now the Beaufighter, is the sprue attachment points are right out side of the cowl leaving two nubs to clean up when the cowling is nipped off the sprue. So they have to be cleaned up before installing.

Now the cowls have been cleaned up and installed.

So far despite my own minor mistakes, this is going together very well. more to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

You have definitely made some progress on the Beaufighter Chuck... It's coming right along, and it's looking good !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, the kit is falling together, and is one of the easiest kits that just assembles very well. Parts just click right in apply a bit of cement and attach.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Brilliant stuff, Chuck! So useful to see the steps as they are performed - and so open and informative to make the suggestions as to how your approach will differ next time - very helpful. Thank you!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul. I try to highlight and summarize what I did in each step. If any issues I will try to address it and explain what I did to get around or overcome it.

• Profile Photo

This time I will work on the landing gear, a step I normally leave towards the end. But it seems on British multi engine aircraft builds so far have me to go ahead and assemble it now.

The wheel hubs have already been painted and will now paint the tires first, as they dry I work on the main landing gear assy. I will use Tamiya Rubber Black for the tires.

When I don't have masks I use the thinly watered down paint and dab the edge of the rims and use capillary action to allow the paint to edge the wheels, tedious and patience as it is a slow process. Not always perfect.

3 pieces make up the main actuators and these go together quite well. Aluminum and RAF Interior green are the paints used on the bits.

The main struts are 1 piece and will attach it to the gear actuators. Carefully to assure aligment. The LH gear is completed. The RH side was completed as well following the same procedure.

Next up is the main gear bay. And thankfully Tamiya kept this as 1 piece not two like the Dinah kit. So no seam to worry about. Again RAF Interior Green is applied for the interior of the bay.

The main gear assy is then installed into main gear bay. Just snaps in precise contact points allow a solid good fit for a not very light plane when completed. Both sides went in with no issues.

Next I just snap in the landing gear assy's into the engine nacelles temporarily as I will pop them out when it's time to paint. Tight fit so no worries of them dropping out.

Next is to install the tail wheel and check out those tire assy's. They turned out ok for the most part.

With a little pressure carefully push the tires between the landing gear struts and the wheels are installed.

Shes standing up on her gear.

Next up some nose work and start cleaning up those nasty gaps. More to follow.

Chuck

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Wings, wheels engines ! Looking good my friend... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Yes, Louis, lions tigers and bears oh my!