Revell 1/72nd Hawker-Siddely Buccaneer S.2B RAF Gulf War 1991

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 53 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 11 months ago:

This is the 3rd project for the RAF 100th anniversary GB, Revell's repop of Matchbox's Blackburn (Hawker-Siddely) Buccaneer S.2B in Operation Granby Desert Pink. The kit 1st appeared in 1974.

Though of 1974 vintage, the panel lines are engraved though almost toy like deep through out the kit. There is no cockpit at all just seats and pilots. I will find some MB resin ejection seats which won't be the exact MB Mk6 seats, but much better than the kit provided seats.

There are no weapons or even pylons to attach them too. Strictly a clean air frame. I may pick up a pair of resin slipper tanks just to have something hanging under the wings.
    So typical Revell open ended box, again will place the sprues in a left over box as I start the project. A small decal sheet with basic markings for one OG Desert Pink machine.

We have three sprues with very light grey styrene, same as what appears in the Revell Typhoon. Though the plastic is not quite as soft.

One clear canopy as one piece as this unit slid open along the top of the forward fuselage. This will be configured closed as I considered the Pavla cockpit set. But I will do that for a future build.
    Next up time to start the build. I will start this a little differently than the norm. As the build progresses. I will decide which markings I will apply as I do have a set in the decal stash for this. More to follow...Tally Ho!

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Amazing that this door stop is as good as it gets for a 1/72 Bucc.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 11 months ago:

I seem to recall doing a Buccaneer a long time ago...I think it was a Matchbox as well, but probably 48th scale since I don't usually do any 72nd stuff. I do remember it came with multi-colored plastic parts, though. Jus' sayin'. 🙂

• Profile Photo

This and the original Airfix kit is all there is for the Bucc in 72nd scale. I built the Airfix about 30 years ago, it didn't survive the trip back home from Connecticut.

• Profile Photo

Craig, I have the Airfix 48th scale Buccaneer with all kinds of upgrades as it needs it. Don't recall if Matchbox did a 48th Bucc.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Chuck, you are above and beyond for RAF100! Another great subject - although it looks like its going to be a bumpy (or at last aftermarket heavy) ride! Good luck - and 'Tally Ho', Indeed!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Good one Chuck, I have the old Airfix kit with raised panel lines, lets hope they do a new tooling ! and I picked up this Czech Master resin kit at my IPMS auction a few years ago at a bargain price !

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul, the only enhancements I will do is to install a couple of resin Martin Baker seats I have left over from another build. They are not the exact MB Mk 6 seats, but better what is supplied. Otherwise the rest will be from what is in the box.
    Thanks Allen, I am hoping that Airfix will go back and update their Buc someday like they have with some of their older stuff. The old kit needs lots of help. I was not aware of the Czech Master kit, that looks nice.

• Profile Photo

While still figuring out in how to approach the seat dilemma, I started to build some of the sub assemblies.

First removing the tail and nose halves off the sprue. Then assembling the nose first. No issues other than the deep panel lines. At this time I also dropped a fishing lead weight into the nose cone.

Next up the tail. Consisting of LH/RH vertical tail and rudder. 1 piece horizontal tail, and the emissions pod that mounts on top of the stabs.

Using the desk mounted vise, holding the tail as I attached the horizontal stabs to the tail and making sure it's level. Then attaching the pod on top of the assembly. Everything so far fitting well.

At this time I also removed and cemented the upper/lower halves of the tail cone.

Next up was to remove the 4 parts that made up the intake trunk/engine housing assemblies which also contains the inner wings and main gear bays. Which is nice to see some detail in the bays.

At this time I also removed the LH/RH fuselage halves clean off the attachment points and airbrush some Interior Medium Grey. Which I will get into the next session.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

These are some of my favourite build threads, taking a soft detailed hunk of plastic and using skill and willpower to transform it into a classic airplane. Great posts, Chuck.

Jeeze, 1974. I was 10 years old and the world was a much, much bigger place.

• Profile Photo

Thanks David, I was 14 in 1974. This is the fun part of this hobby.

• Profile Photo

After building up some of the sub assemblies, It was time to paint some of the interior components. Using Dk gull Grey for the cockpit interior, of what little it is and limited to just the forward part of the cockpit area of the fuselage. Next white for the intake trunks as well as white for the engine fans and bulkhead. Will paint the fans aluminum at a later date. Lt Grey for the wheel bay and nose bays and doors. And that it's for now. More to follow.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Chuck, I often think modeling is something of a time machine that evokes all sorts of reminiscences and memories. I can sometimes get a smell or sensation that catapults my brain back to a very specific point, maybe building an old 1/72 kit (with about 14 parts) on a Sunday afternoon in my old room. Or going with friends to spend literally hours in the local model store, analysing the box art and arguing over relative merits of Axis v Allied planes. Gosh, those days were so much more innocent despite how much society has 'evolved' in regards to tolerance and equality.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Nice choice Chuck and since that kit has really been around a long time I'm anxious to see how she comes out.

• Profile Photo

David, that is actually a good point. I still get that feel or memory of years past when just opening a lid on a new kit, the scent of plastic like a new car smell. It's one thing to share here on line. But really it is just me and the model for a few hours on the weekend. It is one thing that is difficult to share with anyone. Unless your teaching a newbie how to build one. Otherwise it is a one man band.

Thanks Tom, it's something old yes, but it will be a fulfilling effort to bring this kit up to a build worthy of the aircraft it represents. The challenge also can only help with the skills. It is not always easy. But I see it as having fun and making this model into something that will look good sitting next to a Hase Tornado and Jaguar.