Revell 1/72nd Hawker-Siddely Buccaneer S.2B RAF Gulf War 1991

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 53 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Chuck, this is EXACTLY the reason I put up such extensive 'Work in Progress' threads. For me, it feels less isolating to have the iModeler 'usual suspects' alongside me for the journey. It's also the same reason I love following other WiP's; the humor, learning and camaraderie takes me back to being 10 years old and recreates something special. I know my threads go off in areas distinctly 'off-model' sometimes but for me it's only partly about the plastic.

I probably don't seem as if I take the modeling part seriously enough sometimes, but that's not entirely true; I probably just value friends even more.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Chuck - eagerly following along, as I intend at some point the exact same build! I had a friend give me this old Matchbox kit, that contained some resin slipper tanks in it. I bought some aftermarket decals for a Op Granby scheme, and then realized that most of the pics I have of bucs in Op Granby show them without the tanks - not sure what I'm going to do yet with that. I've still got the desert pink paint I mixed up for the Jag I recently finished for the Cat build, and hope to get to the Buc before it dries up too much...

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 10 months ago:

David: Your correct in what you said, this forum is great to expand beyond the model building, a little of our faith and beliefs with a little humor along the way. I love that we can open up a bit here. Reading some of the WIPS from all walks of life, a bit of their heritage and culture, the approach a fellow modeler takes. Their point of view. It is welcome to read what they see, feel their passion on their project. Some personal, some because it is like Mt Everest, to climb it, some of us are not capable to reach that summit. But it's fun to follow those who can conquer their Everest. Right now it is this Buccaneer and the Lancaster, because of it's place in history, the men who flew it and rode in it. This is my Everest for now.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg, this is actually a build that is coming along quite well. I expected the challenge it would present, especially the seats. But once getting past that the rest is just some elbow grease and patience. The slipper tanks normally were used when configured with one on the port wing and a Pave Spike AN/AVQ-23E pod on the opposite inner pylon, on the port outer pylon was an AN/ALQ-101 ECM pod, while an AIM-9L Sidewinder on the starboard outer pylon. This configuration is when tasked on a target designator mission for the Tornado's they were paired with.

• Profile Photo

Found 2 matching Verlinden Martin Baker Mk7 seats, the Buc used MB Mk6 seats, these are much better than these!

Now hoping they would not be too tall or too narrow.

And good, they will work and look way much better.

Once the super glue set, it was time too finally mate the two fuselage halves and let it set overnight.

Next to add the sub assy's. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Nice to see those seats worked out! I've always been amazed at how many excellent kits I've built include such lousy seats with little or no detail. Of course if you intend to place a pilot in it how cares, except the provided pilots usually have little detail as well. I discovered what difference a decent seat makes when used with an otherwise lackluster model.

Adding some aftermarket accessories sure makes a difference in appearance. Nice going Chuck.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

I agree with Tom. That was an awesome upgrade and well worth it. It always seems that if the pilots seat and the instrument panels are looking good, then as a rule the rest of the build follows suit.

Well done my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Agreed Louis, those seats are sensational - actually transformational. I hadn't thought of it like that Louis - but I can follow the logic - it is good for motivation too to build a great interior - sets a standard that you feel duty bound to follow. And chuck, you have certainly done that here!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom, yes to me seats, and the IP in the cockpit is a focal point for me so I try to enhance these areas when working this portion of the build. For the most part I use the kit seats if they look the part when the PE bits are added. But in this case with the Bucc, there wasn't really anyway to improve them even with the canopy closed.

Thanks Louis, as you as well really hit a homerun when working your interior on your builds.

Paul, even on a basic kit such as this one is, I try my best to bring the best out of it. Though the cockpit is lacking, the rest of the kit will look the part. God willing

• Profile Photo

I had already built some of the sub assy's while searching for the seats. Now with the main fuselage mated together it's time to attach those items. Starting with the engine/exhaust section.

First a test fit of the exhaust outlets, the fit is not good here and the outlets are molded filled in.

Contemplating opening these up down the road. On the intake side, I paint the engine fan blades Aluminum.

Then interior of the intakes are White. I attach the fan blades to the forward part of the engine side section.

pic4]

With the intake installed. Next is to install the side section to the main fuselage. Now you can see the Buccaneer taking it's unique shape.

Next to repeat the steps and complete the LH side.

Work will need to be done to clean up the seams. Good thing I have some practice working over those Lanc engines. Sheesh! more to follow.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Chuck, this is what your build reminds me of...

You pick up a nice little 72nd scale, three sprue kit thinking - "what could go wrong?" Before you know it you are knee deep in a fight, captive to your own high standards.

It's looking great and if you can get HER looking like that, I'm tempted to ask if you can come over to London and run your eye over my... on second thoughts, let's not go there.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Well David, I think Chuck could contract out his 'firefighting' services for many of us - there are certainly some difficult enough looking kits to conquer in Chuck's extensive RAF100 line-up!

Chuck, I have a few old kits in the cupboard and a couple more that, by looking at reviews, I know won't exactly fall together - these builds are just so helpful in that light. I will certainly refer back to these WIPs when the time comes! Your 'seam-line' odyssey is a great tutorial!

• Profile Photo

You know David it starts out that way to do just a quick build with not too much to add to it. But the passion kicks in to not just build it. But to make it a nice presentable model on display with the rest of it's contemporaries.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Chuck. The photo didn't load on my last post...missed the Trojan horse.

• Profile Photo

David, nice analogy as you would put it. Though I prefer the current one from my Alma mater.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.