Revell 1/72nd Hawker-Siddely Buccaneer S.2B RAF Gulf War 1991

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 53 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Excellent, Chuck.

• Profile Photo
    said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Great job on this Chuck. I used to think my twenty five plus year airfix build was ok but I didnt even smooth the seams.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 10 months ago:

David Leigh-thanks but let see how it comes along.
    Anthony -that Bucc looks great, the silver and bright accents on the wings and intake lips are excellent. It sure has withstood the test of time.

• Profile Photo

This session I will pretty much wrap up most of the airframe work. I will leave the wings off for now, it will make easier to do the seam work that is too follow. And this beast will need some work to bring it up to standard. First will add the already assembles tail assy and tail cone.

Check for alignment.

Now attach the nose.

After the cement sets. Time to add some or lots of Squadron grey putty.

Will put this aside over night and work it tomorrow. Now we can see the distinctive look of the Buccaneer. Taking shape. more to follow.

• Profile Photo

As you can see the Bucc is now taking it's very distinctive shape. And by the way despite the small box, the Buccaneer is not a small aircraft by any means. It is quite large. Will place it next to another built RAF bird for comparison later.

Still a lot of work needs to be done around the seams and fill some sink marks.

Once that is done, time to install the outer wing panels.  The wings actually are separated from the wing fold area.  So if one was bold and planned ahead may have modified to do this nice feature.   Not this time.  Though I would like to build another, little bit more involved with detail goodies added and some ordnance next time.  

First starting with the upper/lower wing panels, put them together and install the LH side (portside)

Next repeat the steps for the RH side, and let it set. Now she is ready to fly,

Some more work to be done for around the airframe, clean up some of the putty work. and then add the canopy and some other detail bits next time. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Now time to install the 1 piece canopy a simple piece and it fits ok. Good enough as it is.

Next is to mask it off with Tamiya tape. Doesn't take long and these type of canopies are not so intensive compared to multi paneled type on earlier aircraft used.

Once the masking is done, time to airbrush the frames black and start the preshading process as well.

In this I don't use black, but I use Model Master Burnt Sienna enamel. It sprays easier out of the brush. And with a Desert Pink finish it will blend in easier.

While letting it sit, I installed the tail hook, wing tip pitot tube and refuel probe on the nose.

thats it for, next up time to paint. more to follow.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Wonderful work with very limited raw material. Looks very like a ' Viper' I have (1/32 Revell) from the Battlestar Galactica reboot. Although I admit to having one eye on that Marauder in th background...

• Profile Photo
    said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Good progress Chuck. I like the lanc wip too.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 9 months ago:

This build reminds me of trench warfare or beating a plowshare into a sword. From the looks of it it looks like the modeler is turning the corner and the possibilities of winning are at hand. Or making a respectable model is possible.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 9 months ago:

A respectable cloth purse from a sow's ear!

• Profile Photo

Thanks David-Leigh, you may have something there seeing some Viper heritage in the Buccaneer. Will hopefully jump start the Marauder and get it done.
    Thanks Anthony both coming along well.
    Steve, the panel lines are typical Matchbox, but hopefully in the end they won't be so prominent.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 9 months ago:

I see a little bit of a McDonnell Douglas F-101 Voodoo in this one, with the high "T" tail, tandem seats and twin intakes. But then again I'm sure that a lot of planes from this era shared a lot of these common features of the time.

Hang in there buddy with this one. You're about to turn the corner.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 9 months ago:

I enjoyed seeing the Bucc next to the Lanc Chuck - I know there are some 'perspective' issues to be considered, but it does look like a big plane. None of your four builds are small by any means! Great stuff, as ever!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, in fact I will pose the F-101 next to the Bucc as we know how large a Voodoo is already. In fact a bit larger than the F-4. Good suggestion.
    Paul a great variety in not getting bored building the same ole thing. A jet here, a multi engine WWII era light or medium bomber, along with a helo for a change of pace. A dabble on armor here and there.

• Profile Photo

Using AK Desert Pink, which is a little bit more yellow in color compared to the Xtracolour Enamel used previously. This is the first time using this paint on anythng. It performed very well out of my Paasche "H" airbrush using a #1 tip.
    Starting as normal airbrushing the lower surfaces. It lays down very lightly and covered in 3 coats.

I let it sit for 30 minutes, nice warm day so it dried quickly. Next over the top.

Once this step was finished. I let it sit over night. The next day I masked off the leading edges of the wings.

Vallejo Aluminum acrylic was used to paint the leading edges of the wings.

And with that, next weekend a coat of future to start the decal process. More to follow.