Revell 1/72nd Hawker-Siddely Buccaneer S.2B RAF Gulf War 1991

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 53 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 9 months ago:

I'm a real fan of AK paints, Chuck. This is looking terrific in tha desert pink and has a much more expensive 'feel' about it now with all that work and artistry. You have a lovely touch with that brush, my friend, lovely.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks Dave, it is just a simple single action Paasche H airbursh I have always been comfortable with since I was 16. Yes I have tried others, more complicated double action brushes. Never got comfortable with them. Kept coming back to the Paasche. The current brush I have had for over 15 years. I currently have 2 of them.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 9 months ago:

I've never used anything but a Paasche-H.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Using Future for the clear glossy coat is applied to the overall air frame. Time to prepare to decal the Buc. I will be using a set of decals from Almark which I purchased after my return from Desert Storm. So yep, I have had these decals since 1992. Never used but always in their packaging and out of the heat of so many summers.

I let the Buc set overnight once the clear dried from after it's application.

A quick comparison on the size of the Buccaneer next to a Jaguar GR.1

Well step 1, the decals did not disintegrate when first put into warm soapy water. Next to see if it didn't come apart when applying it on the surface of the wing. So far so good. The one caveat of the Almark decals is that the markings are on one carrier film through out the sheet. So which means you have to really trim the decals to minimize the chance of silvering. Probably the reason I have not used them prior to this build.

Not many decals to apply on the Buc. National markings are limited to just the wings in 2 locations, RH upper and LH lower. They performed rather well and reacted well to the Aero Set and Aero Sol setting solutions.

They conformed very well along the panel lines around the nose. No silvering on the very few stencils applied. Nice that they aged well without any issues. Quite happy with the results.

Later on in the day, still in the clear stage, I apply a wash under the aircraft as this step performs very well when the surface is smooth. Dirty it up a bit before applying the final Flat coat finish.

Next installment will be the final one for this WIP. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Wow, you've really turned that boxful of scrap plastic into a nice looking model!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Nice to see this coming together Chuck, the desert pink is looking the part !

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 9 months ago:

I agree with David... and I didn't realize this plane was as big as it is until you posted the photo of it sitting side by side with the Jag.

This color reminds me of how the B-24's (and other US Aircraft) faded in North Africa from a Tan color to an almost pinkish color. The B-24D at Wright Patterson is very close to this one in color.

Looking good Chuck !

and I happened to notice the Beaufighter is up on it's wheels in the back ground...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Coming along very well indeed Chuck. Thanks for the in depth WIP too - good to see every step along the way! Brilliant stuff!