Tamiya 1/48th Avro Lancaster B.III Dambuster RAF 100 anniversary

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 129 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years ago:

Jeff, sundial! I'm stealing that!

• Profile Photo
    Frank Cronin said 6 years ago:

Chuck,
    This is coming along very well. Even though I know you are experiencing very frustrating issues from time to time, this is going to be beautiful to see finished.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years ago:

Thanks Jeff, I'm looking into getting Airfix 72nd Lancaster kit among the wish list thats ever growing. i actually have an older build that dates back to 1992. An Academy Humvee, it was a brand new issue at the time and I started it. It is about 95% done just a few details and it's done. Just need to work on it.

• Profile Photo

I thought that was quite clever too Bernard, lol. Thanks Frank, but I don't get frustrated with the Lanc, these are known and expected so I just go with the flow. Now the Kitty Hawk Jaguar on the other hand is quite challenging and some of it is totally unnecessary. That kit is fighting me to the bitter end.

• Profile Photo

Now to really work the engine nacelles. All 4 needed some work. Starting with applying Tamiya filler. Filling the seams on each nacelle.

Once set as it does in about an hour. I start with 320 grit wet/dry 3M Automotive sandpaper. I buy these at Lowe's Home Garden Center in a variety pack that also contains, 400 and 600 grit grades of wet and dry. I also have 1000 grit fine grain for polishing minor scratches. Works especially on clear components if a boo boo should happen.

Working over each nacelle smoothing out the filler to even the surfaces around the seam. Again using the same process for the top of the engine nacelles as well.

Moving on to then next engine and following the same process for each engine. Lot of work.

Once this is finished I rescribe some of the panel lines and door edges. This kit will require some primer to check the seams, hard to tell with the black plastic which can hide some discrepancies. Next up some follow up seam work and attach the wings. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 years ago:

Wish I had mentioned that Belcher Bits does resin engine nacelles for this that solve all the problems - the engine nacelles are the real weak point of this kit.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom, it's all good, I know about the Belcher Bit engine nacelles upgrade, which I will get for the other Lancaster I have in the stash for a future build. This kit was already in progress and the wings built up a few years ago, just decided to finally finish her this year for the RAF GB. So will work on these for now. Thanks for the heads up though.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years ago:

Great recovery job Chuck - that looks like a heck of a sanding mission! From where she is, to where she will be is turning into a fascinating journey!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years ago:

Chuck, I'm loving this WiP, it's real 'sleeves rolled up' modeling and is really interesting and entertaining.

Keep it comin'.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul and Dave, this is the area of the build that will take some time to clean up around the engines. But it is all worth it in the end.

• Profile Photo

Now time for the process and not my favorite part of the build. Masking off the canopy and clear bits on the air frame. Using a set of over 20 years old EZ Masks. Which I have already used the portions for the gun turrets.

At the time these were my go to masks. Cutting Edge and the early Eduards masks had a tendency to leave glue on the clear bits when removed and were tough to clean up. To the point of why use them at all for the amount of time it took to remove the glue from the canopies. The EZ masks were from a gent in Canada. And they worked well then and with great relief still worked now despite their age. Starting with the nose I will work my way back to the tail. Starting with the observation window under the nose.

Next the nose and it's compound features was a bit difficult as the age of the masks did become apparent here not sticking very well. I used a bit of Tamiya tape to finish this portion.

Next to apply the masks on the forward compartment windows on each side and on top of the fuselage.

Then the main event, the multi panel canopy and it's bulges. Again using Tamiya tape to help around those sections of the windows.

Finally both sides of the fuselage windows completed the process. This step took 2 hours overall. Not bad. The Devastator and the Vindicator took me 2 days each.

Next up airbrush the RAF Interior Grey/Green . more to follow

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years ago:

What a build, Chuck, I really feel that I'm there sanding away with you. This is such a great project to follow. Thanks.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years ago:

Chuck, good progress! Nacelles look like lotsa work!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 years ago:

The rest of the project is all downhill after these @#$%$@! nacelles.

• Profile Photo

Thank you David, lol, I can feel your spirit gracing my sanding sessions. And that of the good Lord as well.
    Thanks Bernard, they are and most likely need a little more work. But thats ok.
    Thanks Tom, I can feel that like cresting the next hill and beyond.