Tamiya 1/48th Avro Lancaster B.III Dambuster RAF 100 anniversary

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 129 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Wonderful, Chuck. As Louis says, it'll be a shame to reach the end - but we can look forward to that next project unfolding. And the next after.

This is Great work. Even though I'd pay for the tickets to come over there and organise your bench. I know, I know...you know where everything is and it works for you. Obsessive Chuck Disorder.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Chuck, reading the last 2 pages of the WIP gave me the sense that building a very sizeable model that has been around for some decades can be both fun and nerve wrecking. Good call on the decals, though I might suggest using masks and paint roundels. I bet that the beast size would make this a straightforward process if one has the colours the RAF applied. The Lanc sure is an appealing aircraft, and yours does full justice to the real thing

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Hi Louis, it is the same exact feeling I get when you complete yours as well. Crazy is the most of the kit was completed when I started this WIP. The Buccaneer was from peeling the wrapper to painting and took less time to present. Start to finish, granted that it is 72nd scale and not as complicated of a build. But I am so thrilled that I finally will get it done after so many years just sitting around.

Thanks D-L, well not as prolific as Louis with this being one of four RAF projects as well as among others on the bench. I may add a 5th build. Was set on a Tornado, but Louis planted a seed, now may do a Mosquito instead, we'll see. I wonder if I told my Pastor I have OCD, I might get hands laid on me.LOL

Pedro, nice thought and thanks but the one step I really don't care to do is masking. Especially with all the multi paneled canopy, windows and paint scheme. So if I don't have to any more masking than what is required, such as the roundels for instance, the decals will be fine for me. The only instance and it would be only for this reason, the decals are not available. Which then I have no choice is to but paint them on. Which I have done to complete a project.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Do it Chuck ! I'd like to see you build up another plane for the GB, and the Mosquito is an excellent choice. Go for it my friend. I have heard good things about the new Revell Mosquito in 1/48 scale. Even the old Monogram kit or a Tamiya model would be fun.

Give it a go and see what happens ... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 9 months ago:

The new Revell kit works fine if you want to invest substantially in aftermarket. The old Monogram kit is "Mosquito-ish." If you want to do a 1/48 Mosquito that is as close to right as possible, that doesn't need aftermarket stuff, get the Tamiya kit. It might be 20 years old but all the Tamiya 1/48 WW2 kits are that age and no one complains. It's only around $34.95, so it's also a very good bargain.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Chuck if you chose to build a Mossie out of matchsticks I am sure it would be brilliant! Your contributions, and their diversity here are greatly appreciated. Each one has shown incredibly well how to build these kits step by step and will be a legacy for those that follow (especially me!). Thanks again, I agree with the others - I will miss this one when it is done!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis and Paul, the Mossie is still up in the air, as I am leaning toward the Tornado. If I were to do the Mosquito it will be the Revell kit. You know I am quite aware of the shortcomings of the Revell kit. It still builds to a nice model when done properly even without the aftermarket stuff. I have all the Tamiya kit versions as well. Those are for future builds. I don't need advice in which to choose or how much to pay. So frankly my dear Tom I don't give a damn. I enjoy building and I choose what, when and how to build as I choose. Yes I do read the reviews on most of them as what to look out for. Yes some issue are glaring and need to be addressed. Most are minor discrepancies and can be left as it is and still builds to a fine model. I may not be an author, or noted historian or a self serving pompous a*s. But I do have credentials, I never will tell anyone I am an expert in anything other than what I know. And this I know, been building since I was 8 years with a few years that life took over, like girls, cars and college. An adventure in Harness Horse racing, college, a BA from the University of So California, (USC) enlisted in the US Navy, then OCS, commissioned as an Ensign, USNR then off to flight school in Pensacola NAS,earned my wings of Gold as a Naval Flight Officer, I have a Masters in Theology from the International School of Ministry (ISOM). Teach Eschatology at my church. 20 year of Naval service, Desert Storm Veteran. But most people don't know this as I don't boast about these achievements unless I'm asked about it and even then I am quite humbled and blessed as all of these is because God planned and this I believe. So don't tell me ever about the shortcomings of any kit and how much it will cost, for if I want it and can't get a deal I will get it any way even if full pop. I think I can afford it. It is not a cheap hobby as all the hidden costs in getting the kit from box to shelf is quite an endeavour as you know. And we all have our approach to building them. And one last thing, your muted.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 9 months ago:

@uscusn Bravo Zulu Chuck, and thank you for your service. I for one, greatly appreciate the sacrifice.

• Profile Photo

Thanks James, I humbly appreciate the kudos and blessing.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks for your service Chuck... Hand Salute Sir !

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Just a supplement for the Lanc. The airframe is completed for the most part. Now the final bits were some antennas and the gun barrels for the rear turret. This step is assembling the Upkeep bomb. The delivery system as well. Just some pics of the parts. Tamiya list the bomb to be silver in the painting instructions. But I believe it was more of a primer red/brown color. A restored or replica shown and one mounted under a Lancaster shows the reddish look. Just a sample what is planned coming up this weekend. More to follow. And you thought I was done,!:-)

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Great to watch you bringing these wonderful kits coming to 'life' Chuck - I have one of these lurking in the stash and may just have to get it out! Nice work!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Hello my friend ! Nice update and I especially like the pictures with the replica Upkeep on display, and one mounted under a Lancaster.

David, I say go for it and build yours... you can never have too many Lancaster's.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks Louis I happened to be at a lecture at the IWM this afternoon. I got a couple of snaps. Keep up the Great work Chuck !

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

This thread is brilliant Chuck! The Lanc is getting there and many of those following are adding in great contributions - those photos are great, David! Beautiful build and great info throughout, Chuck!