Time to get on with it…

Started by Frederick J Seitz III · 14 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 5 years, 11 months ago:

I finally started to get the show on the road, and building my addition to the Group Build.

First up, is another fantastic Airfix Hurricane Mk.I, This time, a Tropical version.

I started with the cockpit, (As the tee shirt says...) and having done that, completed the wing assembly, and I’m fitting it to the fuselage. Tail planes are basically there to provide reference for alignment . Hope to get some glue onto those wings tonight, so I can start on the seam work...what little there is...and get this girl ready for painting!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 11 months ago:

It's a super kit, Freddie.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

There's been a few Hurricanes recently on the site, strange how certain subjects occasionally 'trend'. This one looks great already, Frederick, and I think she definitely looks best in desert colours.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

It seems to go that way David, I agree, when the RAF100 group started I figured I'd wait to see what gaps I could fill historically - I have ended up with a couple of WNW kits in that vein, and boy are they popular currently (their re-releases later this year based on the aircraft of individual pilots will fly of the shelves too I'd imagine). I had a Hurri and Spit in the new Airfix plastic and was just beginning to read around the myth, legend and misconception around the RAF at Dunkirk. So I will be trying to get those two done as planes from that tract of history as my reading goes on!

Frederick, I am so pleased that you are doing this build - it will certainly help guide my build later - and those of others. It looks just fantastic from the outset! It is an icon, essential to a group build like this, and it will look great in the desert scheme!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 5 years, 11 months ago:

The "office" certainly looks used! Beautifully done! Really fine kit, looking forward to seeing the end result.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Nice job on the interior detailing...hope it'll be able to be seen when done.

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Almost ready to throw paint on the Hurricane Mk.I Trop... Been awhile since I posted and progress has been slow to put it mildly. Anyway, here are a couple of progress pictures.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Looks good Fred... Our Hurricanes could be sisters... Mine is just about at the same construction phase as yours, but lacks the Vokes filter.

This is a great kit is it ?

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 5 years, 8 months ago:

She's a beautiful kit, Louis. One of the best I've built in a long time. Granted there are a few minor issues here and there, but on the whole, Airfix did a wonderful job with engineering. Plus Hurricanes are one of my favorite aircraft, so there is a little bias on my part, 😉

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Looking just about ready to come to life with the paint, Fred! Pleased there is a tropical Hurri in the current builds section! Thank you so much!

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I’ve been busy. In addition to knocking out the BP Defiant, I also finished up the HurricaneMk.I Trop.

Again, another beautiful Airfix kit, in 1:48 scale. I can’t say enough, how good this kit is.

Markings are a wee bit suspect, not sure how accurate they are, but I went with the guide provided, and will live with it.

Model represents a Mk.I from No 274 Squadron, based at Sidi Barrani, and flown by Sgt. F.H.Dean.

Sgt. Dean would be lost in this machine on 15 May, 1941, shot down by German ace, Maj Gerhard Homuth.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Very nice! You're right about how great this kit is.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Frederick, this is just beautiful! A very unusual camo scheme on those leading edges. And an interesting set of theories as to how they got there in your article. Thanks for your contributions to this GB. They are are of an exceptionally high standard, and are excellent choices historically. I’m very grateful Freddie, outstanding modelling!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 6 months ago:

The purpose of the scheme was to convince Italians for the "crucial moment" that an oncoming aircraft was one of their own.