Vickers Valiant ”down under”

• 24 posts
  • Last reply 3 days, 15 hours ago
  • 1/72, Airfix, atomic, Australia, RAF, Vickers
Viewing 16 - 24 of 24 posts
  • Paul Barber said 5 days, 10 hours ago:

I’ve just had a look at some photos of the finished article – very very impressive – but I go into a cold sweat at the mention of vacuform! Even canopies – which I need to work on in general – cause consternation!

• Tom Cleaver said 5 days, 10 hours ago:

It may be that I did certain models when I was too young to know they were “difficult” (building and rigging the old Hawk Nieuport 17 and the other Aurora WW1 models when I was 10-12) and starting out with balsa models, but vacuforms are easy, so long as you have the hand-eye coordination to touch your nose with your right index finger three times in succession. Just “take your time.” Here’s a vacuform Falcon Models Spitfire XVIII of 208 Squadron for the “RAF 100.” Still the most accurate Griffon Spitfire in terms of overall shape. Done with a resin cockpit and landing gear and prop from an Academy kit.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Paul Barber said 5 days, 10 hours ago:

I think you my have hit the nail on the head – as a kid I fumbled around with Revell and Airfix that mostly ended up covered in glue and brush hairs. Things changed at 14 when a French family, whose son I had been on an exchange with, sent me home with a 1/24 ‘Me109’ as we called them back then. And like so many others I drifted until I came back to it (on the verge of) being past my potentially best years!

And of course thank you, for what I think is our first Griffon Spit!

• Tom Cleaver said 5 days, 10 hours ago:

Oh yeah, I wouldn’t want anyone to see those models mentioned from my youth. But “fearlessness” is a good attitude to have as a modeler. It’s only a plastic toy and if it doesn’t turn out, there’s always the trash bin. It’s the learning that’s the fun of it (at least for me). The only three things a modeler needs are: 1) pay attention to the project; 2) take your time to get it right; 3) have fun and learn.

• Paul Barber said 5 days, 9 hours ago:

Could agree more – lifelong learning – and reboots to challenge yourself!

• David leigh-smith said 5 days, 9 hours ago:

There’s a ton of research out there to show that the main protective factors against ill health as we enter that ‘golden’ age are maintaining eye/hand co-ordination, learning, maintaining challenges in life, and social contact.

And sniffing glue, of course.

• Tom Cleaver said 5 days ago:

You’re saying iModeler is a public health project? 🙂

• David leigh-smith said 4 days, 20 hours ago:

Yep, I AM saying iModeler is a public health project. Well done us!

• Allan J Withers said 3 days, 15 hours ago:

Thanks Paul !!

Viewing 16 - 24 of 24 posts