Thanks Freddie for the information on the book. If I run across one I’ll try to get it for my collection. You should start building your Catalina model. There’s no better time than the present…………… 🙂
You’re absolutely correct Dave. The Cat doesn’t get the attention that it should, even though it was very instrumental with helping the Allies to achieve victory over the Axis powers. Plus it saved many people who were stranded at sea either by having the ship sunk (that they were previously floating on) out from under them, or by having to ditch or parachute into the ocean. That’s not a very nice way to persish I’m sure.
One can only imagine.
Earlier today I made some headway with the Cat.
To begin with, I cut all of the large parts off the plastic trees. This opened up considerable room inside the box.
Since I still have to paint the wheels and engines on all of my Midway Group builds, I thought that if I had these parts ready from the Cat, I could paint them all at the same time…………..
Here’s the wheels. The tread pattern looks a little over done, but will soften up some with a little help from some fine sandpaper.
The engines were cut away from the plastic trees and are ready for some detailing paint work………..
On the undersides of both elevators, there was the Monogram copyright date and initials molded into the trim tabs.
Close up of the Port side:
followed by the Starboard side:
I then proceeded to glue the outer pontoon floats together…………………
On one of the pontoon halves, the ring shaped tie down was broken off the actual float and was still attached to the tree. I carefully removed the broken part from the tree and managed to glue it back in position where it belongs.
If you’re building one of these this is an area to pay attention to. The rings are very delicate.
The next step I did was to scrape off the Monogram and copyright logos from the trim tabs. I carefully used a single edge razor blade and gave the lettering a few swipes……….. This took off 90 percent of the details from the lettering. I followed behind the razor with some fine sandpaper and carefully sanded away the remaining details.
This is how the underside of the Port side looked after they were given the “treatment”.
and the Starboard side………………….
Here’s a picture showing all of these parts grouped together:
Lastly, here’s a picture of a large pile of plastic. Hopefully tonight I will glue these together to form the wing.
I’ll post up more progress tonight if I make any. Right now I’m headed out to the shop to continue with the engine build for my Challenger restoration. I assembling a Chrysler 440 engine for it. The short block is done and I have degreed the camshaft. Now I’m checking other clearances like the valve to piston contact………… That’s my other hobby. Restoring old “Muscle Cars”.