1/48 Monogram PBY-5A Catalina "44-P-4" flown by Ensign Jack Reid, VP-44, Bureau Number 08031

Started by Louis Gardner · 68 · 6 years ago · 1/48, Catalina, flying boat, Midway Group Build, Monogram, PBY-5A
  • Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 7 years, 1 month ago:

My wing parts weren't warped but I had gaps about half the size of yours on both outer wing halves but nothing red Bondo couldn't cure. When I went to dry fit my wing to the pedestal it was so tight I couldn't get it back off. As far as I can remember, the innards fit quite well

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks for the input George. I will keep that in mind when it comes time to test fit the wing. Good news. When I removed the wing from the board for the final time, everything is nice and flat on the trailing edges.

It looks pretty square too. So after some filler work, I think the wing will be OK.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 7 years, 1 month ago:

That wing spar was really useful - that wing will droop over time.

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 1 month ago:

I am looking forward to watching this one get built. Thank you, Lou, for highlighting a couple potential trouble spots for me. Again, this is a TERRIFIC group build!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Check out your Monogram box art, the darn thing really exists. I wonder if they used it for their measurements etc., And if they did what's the issue with the tail?

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Hey, all youse engineers! I know Tom C. used a coat hanger for the spar in his PBY wing, what is everyone else using? I never had wood shop, or other useful classes, being a nerd. I got no idea how to do this, and I admit it. I'm thinking a longish piece of wood to run about 3/4 of the distance of the wing, once assembled. Glued to either(?) the top or bottom of the assembled wing. How am I doing? Wood AMS, whole new category!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks for the great closeup picture! Look at them rivets! I now remember the old profile pub said that they always kept a bunch of sharpened pencils, and when the landed or took off, used them to plug the holes in the hull where the rivets popped. How's that for high tech?
    There's an aftermarket decal for Snafu Snatchers by somebody, can't remember who, it'll come to me. Love the photo! Wright Pat?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Tom Bebout sent me some very cool photos of the original "Snafu Snatchers" which is on display at Wright Patterson. Thanks again Tom. I have already put these pictures to good use.

While paint and some glue were drying on my TBD Devastator, and since I had to detail paint the engine for it, I thought it would be a great time to paint the engines for the Catalina.

So I painted the crankcases "Gunship Gray" FS 36118. It's a fairly close match to the color that was used on these engines. Then I decided to try something
    "different" out and pulled out the silver pencil. Then I used the silver pencil to bring out the cylinder cooling fin details, ignition harness details and pushrods.

Here's a few pictures:

Followed by a picture of how the engines look inside the cowlings. These parts were just temporarily placed there and have not been glued in position.

I think that the details are good enough for me.

I really like building these older Monogram/ Revell kits, and like you Freddie, I'm having a great time with the Midway Group build.

Yes Tom B., the kit has the Snafu Snatchers decals included. Very cool. As far as the tail assembly dimensions I don't have a clue as to what happened. I am just going to leave my kit as it came from the factory and not worry about the tail problems.

Bernard as far as a wing spar is concerned, my original plan was to get a piece of square metal tubing and epoxy it into place along the entire length of the wing. I even thought about installing two spars. The idea is nothing new, and not too hard to do, but I decided against it. The reason behind this decision was that I am not sure of how the outrigger pontoons will fit in the outer wingtips. I plan on installing mine in the raised position, (since most Cats have them this way when parked on land), but if the fit is terrible I will lower them. If I end up with the floats lowered I may end up building some sort of roll cart to place under the floats similar to the type used by the Japanese Rufe. It may not be 100 percent correct, but it's a plan B. I only plan on building the carts for the outer floats if I notice the wings starting to droop.

Here's a picture of one wing spar of the wing that will eventually go into my 1/6 scale Curtiss Jenny RC plane. This thing has a wingspan close to 88 inches !

You could use a hardwood spar like this if you wanted to. I would notch out the molded in wing ribs and make the spars fit tight before I epoxied anything in position. The only drawback to installing a spar is that if your plastic is warped badly like mine was, you could actually introduce a permanent warp into the structure if the wing panels were not absolutely straight as the epoxy dried.

After I glued mine together and it dried overnight it seemed really strong. This is something that only time will tell.

Bernard, I hope this helps to answer your question about the wing spar.

Thanks again for sending me the photos of the Cat at Wright Patterson Tom B. !

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years ago:

Tonight's plan was to paint the wheels on all of my Midway Group build projects, and one other plane that has been sitting for quite a while now. (The A-20 Havoc)

So I did ...

Here's what I ended up spraying tonight.

However prior to painting I spent some time cleaning up the seams along the middle of the wheels. After sanding, some of the tread details were gone on the Cat wheels.
    But at least I managed to get rid of the excess tread pattern that just didn't look quite right to me...

So I attempted to re-scribe the lost tread patterns by carefully using a single edged razor blade...

Good news, I managed to complete both main wheels and keep all of my fingers intact.

Once the paint dried enough, I used some of the photos that Tom Bebout sent me as a reference on what colors to paint the wheel hubs on the Cat...

I know it's not very much accomplished, but it is a little progress...

Thanks again Tom !

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 7 years ago:

Not a problem, went there to look at their Aleutian P-39Q, may want to add that to the Midway GB along with a Val that was shot down at Dutch Harbor

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years ago:

Looks good so far Louis. The kit is really nice, build mine as it came out and after a while my wing warped.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 7 years ago:

Wing turned out nice. I never added anything inside the wings, 2 years later still good...so far.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years ago:

Louis, thanks for the help on the wing spar. I was thinking along the same lines. Also, I hadn't considered what to do about the retractable wingtip floats. Got to figure that one out.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen. I really hope that this wing doesn't start drooping. If it does then I'll try plan B since it's probably too late to insert a wing spar now and have it support anything.

Earlier today I was working on painting the propeller on my SBD.

Since I had the airbrush out and the colors ready I decided to go ahead and spray paint the props on the Cat.

So far the red and yellow stripes have been painted on. I'm letting the paint dry before I spray the remaining blue stripes.

• Profile Photo

Tonight I was able to finish spraying the prop tips on the Cat. It's not much completed, but any progress is better than none at all.

Here's a picture of the propellers as they now look.

I hope to get the SBD Dauntless finished soon. When I do I can spend more time with the Catalina.

Enjoy !