1:48 Scale, Great Wall, TBD-1 ”Devastator”

Started by Frederick J Seitz III · 39 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 2 months ago:

This is a tough kit, but it goes together very well. Lots of small parts, is why she's tough. However, fit is pretty damn good and it'll make a nice addition to the BoM Group I think.

Need to do a wee bit more touch up, and then it's on to the clear coats, decals and then weathering!

Markings will be T-3, off USS Hornet, flown by Ens. William R. Evans, and Ross. E. Bibb Arm3, Torpedo Eight, (VT-8) Killed in Action, 4 June, 1942.

Also, check out this link, for a video about VT-8, aboard Hornet. You can clearly see T-3, piloted by Ens. Evans spotting forward on deck... Most of the sequences in this short film were NOT shot on 4 June, 1942. Most were shot in May of 1942. However, the take off scenes, where the aircraft look like they are doing their take off runs in the early morning, were filmed at Midway, and within two and a half hours, all would be dead, save one, Ens George Gay.

More pics to come!

Always wanted to do Lt Howard P. Ady's PBY-5 also!

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Welcome aboard Freddie !

Looks like you have a great start on your Devastator. You picked out a nice set of markings for it too... I have never seen a GWH Devastator built. It looks like an awesome kit. The cockpit is very detailed.

How knows, you may have time to build your Catalina here as well.

• Profile Photo

Honestly, I think the Catalina is a stretch at best, but I may give her a whirl anyway. I'm sick like that!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Scott said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Looking fantastic buddy !

Brian

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 7 years, 2 months ago:

That is looking very nice, looking forward to seeing her completed.

• Profile Photo

Ready for the first top coat, then decals!

• Profile Photo

Touch Ups done, now it's on to the clear coat, Y'all!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Outstanding ! Looks great.

• Profile Photo

Decals are on. Next is a sealing gloss coat, followed by some "sludge wash", then a couple clear flat coats, and on to the final assembly stuff. I have to say, I'm NOT a fan of the decals, OR the "Masks", (If you can call them that). Decals are not laying right, and the masks are terrible. IMHO, you'd do better to use a sheet of numbers and letters, and some Yellow Wings national insignia. That's what I'll do for the next one...

I posted a video earlier, and it clearly shows T-3 taxiing.
    Ens. William R. Evans, and Arm3 Ross E. Bibb, were killed in action in this aircraft, attacking the Japanese Fleet at Midway, 4 June, 1942

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Ensign William R. Evans, Pilot, Torpedo Eight, (VT-8) USS Hornet, (CV-8)...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Fascinating video loved it, a month before the battle. Seeing those men posing with a Devastator their confidence as Naval Aviators and crew still showing in their demeanor. Not knowing their fate and the unknown, yet ready for the challenge. Just as it was when I was in the Navy. Thanks for sharing that.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Looks like "T-3" is really shaping up. I haven't watched the video, but I will soon. We tend to forget what we owe this generation...

• Profile Photo

Thank you for your service to our country Chuck. My nephew, Brian is currently stationed in Norfolk, and is due to leave for a war cruise, soon. My son, is in the USAF/OSI, has done three combat deployments in Afghanistan and Iraq...and I have a boatload of grey hair as a result.

• Profile Photo

Here's a few more pictures of the TBD. I popped the masks off, and started to do some of the final assembly. I attached the engine and cowlings...(Not the wheels. They are on to better support the model as I have already broken the delicate little brake lines...)

The detail in this kit is really good and I think I will have to build another one, maybe a striped tail, Coral Sea, "Scratch one Flat Top" looking bird...

Time to get down stairs, and work more on the TBD, and B5N, and maybe start on Tom Cheek's F4F-4...Then maybe an A6M2...This is a terrific Group Build!

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Hey Freddie...

I just started a stable mate to your TBD. I was spraying some interior green on my AM Dauntless and had way too much paint mixed up. Rather than waste the paint, I decided (quite by chance) to build the old Monogram / Mattel TBD in 1/48 scale.

Don't worry though, I will not pick the same marking you have.

Speaking of your plane, it's really coming along. I really like the engine details... Looks really good all around...