1:48 Scale Tamiya F4F-4 ”Wildcat”

Started by Frederick J Seitz III · 18 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 1 month ago:

I have been watching the builds progress here and I have to say that I am seeing some really great models being built.

I am currently working on two models that are getting close. One, a Great Wall, TBD-1 'Devastator' has paint on her, and is currently getting the fidley bit installed, before the finishing touches. Number two, is a Hasegawa B5N2 "Kate", which is getting close to being painted, and while these two dry for a couple days, I though I'd start on a third and maybe a fourth, to help pass time while the the others dry.
    Inspired by Frank Steffan's recent F4F, and watching Brian Scott's build, I thought I'd get out another Tamiya F4F myself, and model MACH Thomas Cheek's aircraft he flew at Midway, and was credited with three shoot downs over the Japanese Fleet on 4 June, 1942. His aircraft wore number sixteen, and was lost when Yorktown sank on 7 June.
    Here are some engine and cockpit pictures so far...

Cheers!
    Freddie from LI

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Scott said 7 years, 1 month ago:

That office and engine looks fantastic Frederick !

Brian

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Brian is absolutely correct. This looks great !

Thanks for posting the progress you've made so far. Like you I have decided to build more than just one kit that would be appropriate for the Midway Group Build. Since I have three on the work bench right now I'm going to try and focus on finishing these up before I start another one.

Thanks again.

• Profile Photo

And there are so MANY kits out there that are coming! I have to get back at the bench and knock out some "Half Builts" I have lying around.

This is a terrific group build!

• Profile Photo

Here are a couple more pics of the cockpit, with seat and belts installed. I have since added the wings, and cleaned up any seams. Now it's on to the tail planes, and then masking and painting! More pictures will follow soon!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I had a VERY productive modeling session last night...

I did major work on three of the four kits I am working on. Here are a couple of pictures of the fuselage with the winds and tail attached. I fixed a small step that ALWAYS appears in this kit, by following Brian Scott's idea of adding a spacer right behind the rear wing seam. It worked like a charm, and there is no step! I filled a couple holes where the drop tanks were supposed to go, and now, I'll sand these and theis F4F is off to the paint shop!
    The other builds will be posted over in "Works in Progress" and are the Hobby Boss IAR-80, and the Finemolds A5M4 "Claude", which I think is their finast kit ever. What a great model kit!

Regards,
    Freddie from LI

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Looks like you have made some great progress on your Wildcat. I've checked out your other builds too. They look equally as nice... Excellent work Sir.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Scott said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Looking fantastic . Cant wait to see paint on this 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years ago:

Mach. Cheek's F4F, "Got her clothes on..." Which in a weird way means I got paint on the model...just sayin...

And decals too. Which are a mixture of Yellow Wings, a Felix the Cat emblem stolen from a spare sheet and numbers from the number sheets. I need to add the "fidley bits" and she'll be pronounced done. I'm not gonna weather her too much based on what I have read. According to well informed sources, (Tom Cleaver) the aircraft aboard Yorktown were by and large,brand new, and would not have shown much wear...yet.

Anyway, once finished, she'll be heading to a model show in New Jersey. Wish me luck, folks!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Well, Here are a couple pictures of the F4F, at the New Jersey IPMS show in Wayne, NJ.
    I see I need to add some gunpowder residue on the starboard wing...(DUH). Anyway, I did better than expected, and took a Best Out of the Box award with her, so I'm happy. I'll post better pictures later, after I can get down to the table and take them.

So this one is done! Thanks y'all, and it's onto the B5M, and getting HER done, too! Maybe a Akagi or Kaga based A6M is in the offing?

Freddie from Long Island

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years ago:

Lovely build and Congratulations to your award !

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years ago:

Freddie, congratulations! Both on your build and the prize. Nice work in the cockpit, and certainly overall. Tamiya! 'nuff said!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years ago:

Like the others have stated, congratulations on completing your build and receiving the award. It really looks great. Thanks again for sharing this with us.

• Profile Photo

Hello Folks,

Here are the pictures of the finished model, which was a pretty quick build. There is something special about the F4F, for this modeler. They were built here on Long Island, a few miles from my childhood home, there a sense of pride that goes along with them. Hellcats and Avengers too. Think of the toll they took on the enemy, the price they paid in doing so...and being considered "Inferior" to their main antagonist, the Mitsubishi A6M2, Model 21, "Zeke".

I have plans on building several more, and I hope y'all enjoy these!

Regards to all,
    Freddie

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years ago:

Freddie, well done! Great build and a well deserved award too.