1/48 Tamiya F4F-4 with VF-3, USS Yorktown

Started by Tom Bebout · 17 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 7 years ago:

After completing the P-40E Aleutian Tiger, it's on to Tamiya's F4F-4 with VF-3 on the USS Yorktown. The A/C I'm doing was flown by Lt. E. Scott McCuskey who was credited with 5 kills during the battle of Midway. He was originally assigned to Fighting 42 on the Lexington but they were later merged with VF-3 after the battle at Coral Sea. The best information I could find shows he flew White 11 during the battle. With a total of 6.5 victories after six months of the war he stood as the Navy's top ace at that time. He would finish with 13.5 victories and retired as a Captain in 1965.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years ago:

Excellent choice Tom.

If your new build Wildcat turns out half as nice as your Aleutian P-40, you will have a real head turner for sure...

I will be following along watching your progress.

Thanks for starting this thread my friend.

• Profile Photo

Got quite a bit done on the old girl, really like the way it's fitting together. All of the cockpit is hand painted with Model Master enamels and acrylics.I enjoy painting them by hand. I did use two Mike Grant cockpit decals and a Ultracast seat to dress her up a bit. Ran some wash over her and presto she's done. Got the engine painted and maybe over the week end I'll have the fuselage and wings on as well. I've got to order those Yellow Wings decals to come up the number 11 to be accurate. More later

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years ago:

Tom, the cockpit and the engine work are outstanding! Love the wiring! I favor the Tamiya over the Hobbyboss by a head. Close. Nice photo of George Gay, too.

• Profile Photo

Got some more done today on what I consider a little gem of a kit. Finished up the wings attached the tail then the horizontal stabs, then attached the wing and engine. May get some paint on her before the weekend is finished. Did order the Yellow Wings Navy white number decals so I'll have to wait for them to finisher her up. Starting to look like an F4F-4.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

This Wildcat is really shaping up. Like Bernard stated, the cockpit and engine look great. I'm glad to hear you have the decals on the way. I didn't have any extras lying around or I would have sent you a set of 1 numbers to do your plane with.

Looks good my friend !

• Profile Photo

Masked and fresh from the paint shop. Landing gear a little fiddly but when glued together it's rather strong. Well engineered I say. Got the Yellow Wings number decals so she'll sport the number 11 as planned.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Tom your Wildcat is turning out very nice. The paint looks great ! Did it need any filler anywhere or was the fit spot on ? I just picked up another one of these at a local Hobby shop. It seems to be a very nice kit. It's really tempting to crack one open for sure...

• Profile Photo

Louis, you can't go wrong on one of these. It's a beaut!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years ago:

Great subject Tom, also a fun kit to build. As you have progressed very well so far. The kit is well engineered by Tamiya I enjoyed building it. Looking forward to more as it progresses

• Profile Photo

Well engineered kit, used just a spot of filler to even out the seam on the bottom.near the tail. Self inflicted issue. It really is a shake and bake kit.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 7 years ago:

Beautiful work Tom - love the seat harness - is it fabric or metal?

• Profile Photo

It's an Ultracast seat with harness already molded in place. Just paint and you're good.

• Profile Photo

So I'm calling Lt. McCuskey's F4F-4 done. Added the Yellow Wings numbers, did a finish coat from a Model Master rattle can, then added the antenna wire. Pop on the prop and I'll call it a day. Another 3 foot masterpiece if I say so my self. I'll do more pics and history on McCuskey on the day of the Midway reveal. Thanks for looking

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Tom, looks great to me. Looks like an operational Wildcat, congratulations!