1/72 Hasegawa SBD-3 Dauntless

Started by Greg Kittinger · 22 · 6 years ago · 1/72, Dauntless, Midway, SBD
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Greg, as a long time fan of the "Speedie D", I am throughly impressed with your build. I know what it takes trick out a Hasegawa's 1/48 SBD, but your detail work in 1/72 is just superb.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Thank you gents! If it weren't for my big old lighted magnifier, it would be an impossible task. A really good set of very pointy-ended tweezers helps a bit too!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Amazing work, Greg. Even with the magnifier and tweezers it takes guts and a hell of a lot of skill to produce work this good

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Greg outstanding work and detail in this scale, 72nd scale jet is decent in size, but a WWII dive bomber is a challenge. Excellent attention to detail on the dive brake actuators. Can't wait to see the final result.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Really impressive Greg - I have just ordered my first styrene since returning to the hobby - so my first ever. This was inspired by looking at this thread - fantastic stuff! The detail you have achieved is jaw-dropping.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 10 months ago:

One last update before the reveal next week: As mentioned earlier, I decided to cut the canopy so I could pose open. The challenge is in getting the sections to nest properly as they are obviously NOT scale thickness. The front section I just had to leave closed, and could only nest the 3 back sections. The two middle sections were ok, as all I really had to do was shorten the second-to-rear piece to fit beneath the usual stationary section. The real kink was in the rear section over the gunner.

I started to look for some acetate to fold/bend into shape, but that was more trying than I realized. Next stop - look in the models parts bin for some discarded canopy section that might be close enough to be cut and shaped as needed. I found what I think was a tail cone enclosure, cut it down and sanded into shape. It was REALLY thick, so I also had to do some thinning, and then of course sanding and polishing.

Here's a couple of pics of the original pre-painted kit section (the wider one) and the new one.

I was pleased with the way the nested pieces turnout out. The Dauntless is all finished except for adding the prop, so it'll be ready next week!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Fantastic job Greg ! I can hardly wait for the reveal...