One last update before the reveal next week: As mentioned earlier, I decided to cut the canopy so I could pose open. The challenge is in getting the sections to nest properly as they are obviously NOT scale thickness. The front section I just had to leave closed, and could only nest the 3 back sections. The two middle sections were ok, as all I really had to do was shorten the second-to-rear piece to fit beneath the usual stationary section. The real kink was in the rear section over the gunner.
I started to look for some acetate to fold/bend into shape, but that was more trying than I realized. Next stop – look in the models parts bin for some discarded canopy section that might be close enough to be cut and shaped as needed. I found what I think was a tail cone enclosure, cut it down and sanded into shape. It was REALLY thick, so I also had to do some thinning, and then of course sanding and polishing.
Here’s a couple of pics of the original pre-painted kit section (the wider one) and the new one.
I was pleased with the way the nested pieces turnout out. The Dauntless is all finished except for adding the prop, so it’ll be ready next week!