1/72 scale TBD-1 from VT-3 off USS Yorktown

Started by Rick Wilkes · 30 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Since the Airfix Dogfight Double kit of the F4F-4 vs B5N2 Kate that I'm building represents a Hiryu vs Yorktown fight, I decided to do a Yorktown vs Hiryu fight using a VT-3 TBD vs a Hiryu A6M.

This is historically accurate since Torpedo 3 did attack the Hiryu just before Bombing 3 pushed over on the Soryu.

After looking at the available TBD kits and not liking either the Airfix or Valom offerings, I settled on repainting a SkyMax die-cast Devestator. I will leave it up to Louis to determine

if this is an elegible entry into the group build, but here is my progress so far.

I have masked the underside and still need to mask the canopy prior to painting the topside blue grey. I will be using the Starfighter USN at Midway decal sheet to get the markings for LCDR "Lem" Massey's aircraft. LCDR Massey was the CO of Torpedo 3 and was one of the 10 out of 12 crew's lost in the attack.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Works for me ! It's Midway themed and you're modifying it to look like one of the planes involved.

It looks like a neat project.

Have fun my friend.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis. BTW you might want to have a look at your SBD thread, I tried to make a post about your stash of Corsair kits, and got an error, but it added a page 3 but with no way to add any more replies etc. If it's really locked up, Martin may be able to fix it.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll send Martin a PM.

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Is that a newer Airfix kit, Rick? Looks pretty nice to me, and your making some great progress!

One thing you should check up on. By Midway, most, is not all American aircraft did not carry the red spot in the center of the national insignia. Especially for a from line unit like VT-8. Also the national insignia were carried in six positions. I'm not trying to be a "Know it all", but this is one area of the Pacific War I am well informed on. What I am saying is, check your references to be sure, and don't trust the kit manufacturer to get it right.

Looking forward to seeing your air battle come to life, unfortunately we all know the outcome of this one... It's good to see VT-3 get represented too, as it's always on VT-8

Cheers,
    Freddie from LI

• Profile Photo

Hi Freddie,
    It's a pre-painted die-cast metal TBD marketed by SkyMax. It came with markings for Scouting 42 off the USS Ranger in early 1941 when the Navy went to overall light grey camouflage. I'm going to repaint it in blue grey over light grey and replace the markings with the correct style for VT-3 in June of 1942 operating off the USS Yorktown.
    Hope you like the result.
    Rick

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Rick, you can do what they did, paint over the red dot.

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Cool beans! Yellow Wings make some really good insignia, if you don't have any already. Looking forward to seeing them both.

• Profile Photo

Hi Bernard, I thought of that and might give it a try. I'm trying to get more info on Air Group 3 in Hawaii after been left at Pearl Harbor when the Sara returned stateside for repairs after beginning torpedoed. Both the F4F-4's and SBD-3's were new(ish) out of depot, but I don't have a very good handle on how much weathering to do to the TBD.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Here's what Bernard was talking about when he mentioned painting over the red in the center of the insignia.

I found these pictures of this in one of my books on Air Force Colors by Dana Bell.

It's a great book and is part of a three volume set.

If you decide that you're going to paint over the red center you could brush or spray some white over the center. I guess it would depend on what they originally did. (Or you could just use decals. I had a bad time with my home made stencils on my Koga Zero.

Hope this helps.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks Louis, I have all of Dana's books. I'm going to check my Midway & TBD references and see if I can find some clear pictures of VT-3

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 7 years, 1 month ago:

That guy could've at least masked off the straight edges of the white star before over spraying the white (woulda been easy enough, doncha think?).

• Profile Photo
    Brian Scott said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Rick your TDB is looking fantastic !

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

The phrase "Close enough for gummint work!" springs to mind. That and TLAR. Your average enlisted man isn't into perfection, just gittin' her done.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years, 1 month ago:

All I can take credit for so far is the masking tape, all the current paint work is courtesy of SkyMax. I hope to change that shortly lol