1/72d scale F4F-4 Wildcat of VF-3 aboard USS Yorktown

Started by Rick Wilkes · 22 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years, 2 months ago:

I'm starting with the F4F-4 flown by LCDR John Thach, part of the Airfix Wildcat vs Kate Dogfight Double. It will be completed wheels up. I hope to add the Kate as the build progresses.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

This is an excellent subject for our Midway build.

If your Wildcat turns out half as good as your Hasegawa SBD flown by Richard Best did, then you will definitely have a real head turner there !

The B5N Kate will be like "Icing on the cake"...

I want to personally thank you for joining our growing little group. Welcome aboard my friend. If I can be of assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Just remember to have fun while your doing the build... It's not a contest.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
    Louis

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Great to see another 1/72 entry, and wheels-up to boot (the only way I build them)! I'm looking forward to seeing it (and the Kate if when you get it done).

• Profile Photo

I "intend" to start on the Kate once I've got paint on the Wildcat, but as experience taught me in the BoB build, better to keep a tight reign on ones ambitions lol

• Profile Photo

A quick update this morning, I've got the interior painted and glossed for the decals. Lt Cdr Thach has his base colors on and has been glued to his seat. With any luck I may have the fuselage all buttoned up in a couple of days.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Thats a very nice start, Rick.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Berne, I'm looking forward to following your Kate build. I'll be doing the same aircraft in 1/72 scale once I get the Wildcat farther down the road.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Wow you're moving right along! Great progress.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Scott said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Looking fantastic !

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Takes me back to see Airfix dogfight doubles again.
    Nice looking Wildcat, with a crew figure!

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks guys, will try to post some more in progress shots of my Wildcat soon. Real life has been intruding the last week. Looks like things might be getting close to getting back to a form of normal this week.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

I can understand how life gets in the way of our hobby sometimes. It happens from time to time. Hang in there buddy and it will be back to normal soon. When it does, you can get busy with your Wildcat again. The work you have done so far looks really good.

• Profile Photo

Finally getting a chance to catch up on the Wildcat. Had a hard time getting the interior in correctly, the rear bulkhead kept dropping back into the fuselage. I glued it to one side $ held it in place with tape till it was dry. Also had a tough time getting the fuselage to mate forward of the cockpit. Don't know if it was because I'd glued it to one side, but I had to do some serious trimming on the instrument panel and the forward bulkhead that the landing gear mounts on the get a good joint. Anyway, since I'm building it gear up, it's moving right along, hopefully I'll have it ready to prime this weekend.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Ready to prime, if the fraking weather would cooperate. Squall lines and thunderstorms in Indiana in February. All I know is that it's a good night to be a retired air traffic controller, they's gonna be earning their money tonight.

Looks like no airbrushing this morning either

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

The F4F is looking great ! We have a saying about the weather here in FL. "If you don't like the weather right now, hang out for a few minutes, as it will change." I've seen it rain on one side of our yard and not a drop on the other side...

Hang in there Rick. Good spraying weather will arrive. I'll bet you don't miss "Vectoring Victor" on a night like this...