A couple Midway Themed Models, that have been completed over the years

Started by Frederick J Seitz III · 3 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 1 month ago:

First is the Trumpeter, 1:32 scale F4F-4 "Wildcat" flown by Lcdr James S "Jimmy" Thatch, off USS Yorktown...
    Second, is the Monogram 1:48 scale TBD-1 "Devastator" flown by Lcdr John C Waldron, VT-8's CO, from USS Hornet...
    Third, is Hasegawa's 1:48 scale SBD-3 "Dauntless", flown by Lt Wilmer E "Earl" Gallaher, VS-6 from USS Enterprise...
    Lastly, Tamiya's 1:48 scale F2A-3 "Buffalo", flown by Maj, Floyd B "Red" Parks, VMF-221, from Midway Atoll itself...

Thanks for looking, and I hope these shots inspire others to do great things!

Regards,
    Freddie from LI

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Very cool ! Thanks for sharing these photos with us. You have built up a great Midway collection on your own. Judging from the articles that you have stated here in the Midway Group build, it looks like your Midway collection will be growing substantially.

I have built a 1/32 scale "Thatch #23" Wildcat but mine was the ancient Revell kit. I folded the wings on mine too.

I think that you may have encouraged me to build a F2F or possibly a F4F from VMF -221. I've been doing some research and I'm seriously considering building a plane flown by Marion Carl. I found a picture of the page from his log book from June 1942 and it lists all of the planes he flew from Midway before he became "famous ". He achieved a kill over an A6M during the same dogfight that Major Parks was killed in. However he was flying in a Wildcat that day, one of several flown by VMF-221 that day. Most of the men were flying Buffaloes that day including Major Parks.

Great stuff!

Thanks again.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 7 years, 1 month ago:

I also had previously completed a few that (I think) qualify for the theme: