Academy P-38E,1/48, 343rd FG,54th FS, Aleutian island

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 65 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Nice looking "office". Looks the business.

• Profile Photo
    Frank Cronin said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Chuck,

If the nose number is no bigger than 1/4 " I have stenciled decals for it in yellow. Also can provide the sharks teeth.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks Tom, just need to come up with some seatbelts, or solution for the missing one in action

• Profile Photo

Thanks Bernard, a little wash and wear and tear to give it some life will add to the details

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Chuck, I was admiring your seat cushion. How did you do it and the back cushion? Starfighter/Marks Models &Toys in Virginia has some of the Medallion line they've apparently bought the molds for, and are rereleasing. Their decals are quite nice, as well. Starfleet, too.

• Profile Photo

I used Med Green for the cushion and a wash to bring out some detail in the cushion. Thanks for the tip for Starfighter and Starfleet will look into them.

• Profile Photo

Today I was able to assemble both main gear bays. Amazing how fast time flies, only able to assemble the LH tail boom and installing the gear bay. Next time I will build the RH tailboom and finish installing the components with in each gear bay. I will not install the gear struts at this stage of the project. More to follow.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

You're definitely making some great progress. It looks very good too I should add...

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years ago:

The decals arrived a couple of days ago, thanks to Frank Cronin for this set. I really appreciate your help as I was building this I realized I didn't really have a scheme to use for this other than the kit decals which are actually for this time period. The first subject is the one I will use. The sheet has this particular P-38E as it appeared in 1943. I will back date it to June 1942. Very kind of you Frank, thank you. This site has some great people.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hello everyone, sorry for the simple test. Just making sure I was able to post my latest update. Heading out to Church right now will be back to the update. God bless everyone.

• Profile Photo

Now that I have the decals which was not an issue yet as the project is still in it's early stages, but assembly gets quite rapid once the cockpit is finished. Assembling and installing the tubes into each landing gear bay will finally get this phase finished. I will leave the cooling intakes off for the moment after I clean up the attachment wing to boom seam. Next time to attach each boom to the wings align them with the center stabilizer. I first do this by adding a little cement on the LH boom, place the center stab into the LH boom, set the RH boom close and carefully cement it to the wing. Place some cement on the stab close the gaps, while aligning each boom for the correct angle. And with that we now have what looks like a P-38! Once that portion is finished, I went ahead and cemented the wings, and booms, lot of seams around the wing to boom attachment point as well around the nose. This time I am a little bit more aware and patient, unlike the first time on the Black "M" which I remember working that nose over and over. Next up, installing the lower front boom cowling. Installing the IP and front coaming. More to follow

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years ago:

Good work so far and a really nice choice.

• Profile Photo
    Frank Cronin said 7 years ago:

Your very welcome Chuck. Glad I was able to help. Your P-38 is coming along very well. Look forward to seeing the finished project.
    Frank

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years ago:

This Lightning of yours is really starting to shape up very quickly ! You have made some great progress... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks Bernd, seems like it is coming together more rapidly the 2nd time around.