Accurate Miniatures SB2U-3 Vindicator USMC, VMSB-241,Capt Richard Fleming

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 64 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 1 month ago:

The Vindicator arrived from Hawaii today (of all places), anticipating a nice challenging build. A good thing really as it being detailed and not a difficult build. Cracking open the lid we see the typical arrangement that is expected from AM. Well packaged parts in their separate bags., inner lid, decals, PE fret and the instructions sheet. It has been quite awhile from my last AM kit, which is the SBD-3 Dauntless over 10 years ago! The inner lid is quite nice as it shows Capt Fleming's aircraft and is frame worthy to hang on the wall. Typical medium grey styrene plastic, clear sprue which has a closed or open cockpit option,(nice two sets of windows, now I can build the other kit I have that is missing the clear sprue). Unusual to see a 2 bladed prop, just goes to show you how obsolete this plane was in 1942. Midway was the last battle for the Vindicator in US action. Some injector marks in the interior but will be hidden for the most part. Interior is well detailed which also includes PE belts. Will get started on this one next weekend as one project is almost completed. More to follow.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 1 month ago:

YAY!, A "Wind Indicator!". I built one a few years ago, and rather liked the kit. There were a few issues at the wing root, and the wind shield, but all in all, it is pretty nice. Very highly detailed in the pits. Good luck on your build, and I'm

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

I always saw the Vindicator as a transitional aircraft, one more suited for the peaceful Yellow Wings time frame. Like some of its contemporaries- Hurricane, for instance- the airframes fuselage and/or wings covering is part metal, part fabric. Like F4u outer wing panels.

The issue I always heard cited for the kit was the rear fuselage, on some kit issues the area of the transition between the metal front fuselage to fabric covered rear had sink marks in it, due to the interior detail sinking it in. I've got two, a -1, and a -3. The earlier -1 it is more pronounced than the later -3. Accurate Min made an effort to make a fix. It wasn't all that bad, anyhow. IMHO, putty, sanding, done. Like the Monogram ME-110G.

I always thought the Marines at Midway displayed great courage to go out in aircraft that were essentially obsolescent, because it was all they had, and their country needed that.

Like the Devastator crews and everyone else in the air and on the ground and afloat.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Nice score Chuck. I'm glad that you have decided to build a Vindicator. I have two AM kits in the pre War "Yellow Wings" boxing's, but both are missing the clear parts. I have one that is complete, so maybe I could get a photo etch instrument panel and vacuum form a clear set of canopies using the original one as a pattern ?

I will be watching this one with a lot of interest... Thanks again for choosing this historically significant plane.

Take care my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 7 years ago:

Falcon makes a vacuform Vindicator canopy that's a lot easier to use. You have to buy one of their US Navy sets with other canopies to get it, but it's worth the cost. You can pose things open a whole lot easier.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years ago:

Thanks Fred, totally forgot about the Marine Vindicators on Midway until I saw someone selling the Midway AM Vindicator and Dauntless at a fair price for both. I remember reading about some issues regarding the fuselage. This kit looks ok. Details are nice crisp and delicate. Can't wait to get started.

• Profile Photo

Bernard: True along with the Devastator. Both break through aircraft in the 30's. But obsolete by the late 30's. Also the note about some of the early Revell Me-110G fuselage issues were along the lines that the Vindicator were having. The -3 in the kit looks fine. I do have the -2 kit and will check for that problem and see how pronounced it is.

• Profile Photo

Louis-I thought about and then I realized no one was doing one, so I figured to pick it up. Already has everything I need to get started on it. Funny I have the -2 Vindicator and it also is missing the clear sprue, as the seller did mention that, figured for 10 bucks it was worth it. TC mentioned that we can get the Falcon vacuform clear canopy. Which might be a way to go. Though the kit supplies two sets yet only one windscreen, so that may be the way to go down the road. This GB is producing quite a bit of interest, for me I have never built a Devastator or a Vindicator so this is really good for me on that aspect.

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years ago:

Good decision Chuck. I may have a spare set of canopy glass from an aborted build WAY back when. I will check and let you know. You will have to sand them down for them to stack correctly.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years ago:

Just realized I don't have a Vindicator in my stash - have to rectify that soon! Thought I had just about one of everything..

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years ago:

Don't we all, Greg? LOL!

• Profile Photo

Finally cracked the lid and get this one started. With receiving the Eduards zoom set, it will enhance an already pretty good interior. Breaking from the usual, I assembled the bombs first. Next was to work on the pilots compartment and instrument panel. I masked off the raft and painted it Aeromaster Enamel RLM04 Yellow. Set that aside and worked on the IP. With the Yellow dry, I then added the straps on the raft. What a difference this makes. And with that we call it a day, More to follow.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years ago:

Nice work my friend ! It's amazing to see just how much of an improvement the PE parts make... The instrument panel and life raft really looks good.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years ago:

Looking good Chuck

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, off to a great start. Forgot how detail the interior is on the AM kits, also how fragile the parts are as they quite thin and pretty close to scale. And fiddly as well, but the they go where they are supposed to during the construction.